May 4th Topwater Hybrids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HEAVY TACKLE, drag set loose enough to allow some pull. A buddy of mine donated a $10 top water bait on his first hook up. A good sized dip net.

3 of the 5 had eggs. 2 were male. Since successful hybrid spawn is almost non existant, I wasn't too detrimental to the population. Only one had a shad, it was about 7 inches long.

I use abu 5500 reels on 7' rods (one is 7.6') Medium Heavy/Heavy action rods allow rod bend, but still stiff enough to set the hooks solid. Line.... I think its 17 pound test STREN. I retie between fish, to make sure there isn't a bad spot from fighting a fish. I monitor my drag to make sure they get line when they need it. For the first couple of minutes, you don't control them, you just hang on, if they come toward you, reel in line like crazy to keep line tight. When the run away, just try and watch that your buddy's line doesn't get in the way. Have you ever played tug of war when the other guy let go of the rope? Yeah that is what its like when one gets off during a good pull, but I managed to stay in the boat.

I think Monday in the OKC FGST topic you said you were too busy or you would take me up on the offer. LOL I didn't go to Texoma, but I did fish.

I usually do most of my homework on Mon-Tues and have class on Wednesday. Just sayin tomorrow is Thursday. lol

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you do guided trips? I absolutely love fishing for hybrid. I will be going to lake Altus-Lugert in a week or two and hopefully catch some nice ones slabbing. Just last year was my first time to go to Altus-Lugert, Me and my buddy were taught how to use slabs by the locals who fish there. We caught some really nice ones, We definitely were not very prepared with equipment. If I had a net that day I would have had nice walleye as well that day. Now that we got a little experience and tips from the really nice people down there we will be ready to slay them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you do guided trips? I absolutely love fishing for hybrid. I will be going to lake Altus-Lugert in a week or two and hopefully catch some nice ones slabbing. Just last year was my first time to go to Altus-Lugert, Me and my buddy were taught how to use slabs by the locals who fish there. We caught some really nice ones, We definitely were not very prepared with equipment. If I had a net that day I would have had nice walleye as well that day. Now that we got a little experience and tips from the really nice people down there we will be ready to slay them.

Not at this time, its just too hard to plan anything in advance with my job. I will sure be glad to give you more tips to help you out, though. Altus Lugert lake is putting out really good right now, hybrids and walleye are biting pretty good there as well.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not at this time, its just too hard to plan anything in advance with my job. I will sure be glad to give you more tips to help you out, though. Altus Lugert lake is putting out really good right now, hybrids and walleye are biting pretty good there as well.

I showed the pic to my wife and she wants to go also.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went up to Canton today, fished the islands area. We caught about 25-30 mixed bag of crappie, sand bass and walleye. It was fun on ultra lights. I didn't get any pics. They all look so little, so I didn't take any pics. I did have a couple of 20" walleye and all the crappie would be around the 12" mark.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I showed the pic to my wife and she wants to go also.

I need a bigger boat.... I can sometimes take 3 people in addition to myself, but that is only when slabbing, or trolling. 2 people in addition to myself when casting and then it sometimes gets dangerous. Fishing with shad, 2 additional people is a boat load with a 40 gallon bait tank in the boat. I will see what I can do. As bad as I hate to recommend it, maybe we should try and get a 5 or 6 man group for a guided trip on Texoma. I haven't checked prices in a long time, but that is like a 100 bucks a person. We could take our chances and rent a boat down there and probably cut the expense down to 50 bucks a person. I am not very good, but I could probably put us on some fish.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some more pics...
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC00964.jpg
8.5 pound hybrid Foss lake Sept 09
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_DSC00957.jpg
Dad and my limit of over 20" Foss lake Sept 09
Dad and a guy from work limit of over 20" Foss lake Sept 09
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_april21_09fish.jpg
Some April 09 fish Foss Lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_fishing1_1_1.jpg
Jan 09 Foss Lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_fishing1_1_1.jpg
April 09 Foss lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_fishing.jpg
Little ones too. Jan 09
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Fish4.jpg
August 08 Ft. Cobb lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Fish2.jpg
August 08 Ft. Cobb lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Fish3.jpg
August 08 Ft. Cobb lake

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how he works out, doing some curls in these pictures.

Dad and my limit of over 20" Foss lake Sept 09
Dad and a guy from work limit of over 20" Foss lake Sept 09
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_april21_09fish.jpg
Some April 09 fish Foss Lake
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_fishing.jpg
Little ones too. Jan 09
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Fish4.jpg
August 08 Ft. Cobb lake

Latest posts

Top Bottom