McCurtain County?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's probably the most beautiful part of the state. I wouldn't want to live anywhere in this state but here. But it's also home to some bad apples...The pot farms and meth labs aren't just a story. I was shooting over in Hodgen at the range there and all day long I heard a helicopter canvasing that area for that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't run that chopper every day over that area. I'd love to have a cabin down there in the woods somewhere but i'd be too damn afraid that i'd show up one day to an army of meth makers. Guarantee they wouldn't find my body for a looong time.

I agree, have seen as much of the drug problems as anyone. Looking after a few thousand acres you get to see all of the unsavory aspects of living in this part of the state. But having worked in other parts of the country doing the same thing it's not any worse here than anywhere else.

Best thing I could see happen here would be to get the unemployment and education levels up but that is another rant I don't even want to start this morning. :smack:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love it down there. But, it is a different world all it's own. I went to hunt in Honobie (sp) once. I stayed at my uncles cabin with 2 buddies. We were armed only with bows (I was young and stupid) and walking to our deer stands one afternoon we see a dude darting around behind trees About 100 yards out maybe watching us but trying to hide wearing a blue sweatshirt. We lost sight of him and were very nervous that night hunting. I felt like the hunted but never saw him again.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
there is for sure some strange people there.i just wish we could get rid of all the drug makers so it would be a safe place again.we used to go up on the moutains during the spring and summer to get polk salad,grapes and muskiedimes when i was a kid. our parents didn't have worry about us they new we would be alright.now days i wouldn't even take a kid up there.you never now what you are going to run into or see.i used to love to hunt the clearcuts.we would always rabbit hunt around the cuts on blackfork killed alot of swamps around there.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
Nashoba's not bad so is snow.they are still close to antlers or Hugo to shop.I'll be glad when I can move back home.I sure miss the mountains.I'm heading down there next weekend to hang feeders and put up cameras.my cousin has about 1500 acres we hunt on north of Albion.maybe we will run into each other some time.we have started using the rifle range on the game reserve.it has a 200 yd rifle range.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well friend i've got some good news for you. Went down to Broken Bow Lake/Beavers Bend State Park and the deer are are so damn thick down there that you can step out of your truck and walk across their backs. Of course, they probably know that they can't be hunted in that park but according to the locals it's that way across the whole area. There is even some free public land surrounding Beavers Bend SP.

I know where i'm going for opening weekend!

Latest posts

Top Bottom