Merwin Hulbert & Co.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the 4th of July I was given the opportunity as many of FFL's are, to examine a very nice piece of history. My expertise is not in old hand guns or old rifles so this is an area, that I am forever learning by research and asking others. I do not think I will ever even come close to knowing enough to do what I see some of my friends do in purchasing and selling these fine weapons.

A young lady and her mother brought me two weapons that she acquired from her grandfather before he past away, and she wanted me to find out some information on them. The first was very simple, it was a newer weapon, I will not go into the exact make and model.

The other was a Merwin Hulbert & Co. Pistol. This Pistol intrigued me from the minute I saw it. It was a work of art when it came to the way it was built. I had never seen a revolver put together this well, with parts that intrigue me so much just looking at it. It was like a Swiss watch. If a man could fall in love with a pistol, I just did. This pistol is nickle plated, with Mother of Pearl stocks.

When you opened it up it was so well made the cylinder actually sucked toward the barrel using no spring mechanism, which I found later by reading is one of it trade marks. You could unload all the shell at once or one at a time. It also has a area where you slide a metal strip down to load the shells one at a time. You can change the barrels from 3" to 5" to 7". It is a double action. When you pull the trigger or the hammer it is so quiet you barely hear it. The hammer folds down so that it will not hag up in your pocket.

In my research this brand weapon was carried my some very famous people Jesse James, Bat Masterson, were just a couple, but there were many more.

When people say they do not make then like they use to, if they refer to this weapon it is truly an under statement. In my humble opinion, this is the finest hand gun ever made. But I am new to old weapons so what do I know.

I compiled a lot of research and gave it to them about their grandfathers hand gun. So that they would at least have some history about it to share when they hand it down to their children. It is very nice to look at. I told them not to try to shoot it. And explained why. They plan to bring it to my shop so that I can properly clean it, and oil it so that it will stay the way it is and not rust any more.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Make sure to have your camera and take some pic's!!! Those are really cool revolvers. Did it have a birdshead grip with skull crusher point/landyard hole??
What caliber?? Those MOP grips are probably original to the gun. They are worth quite alot by themselves.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's an FLL? :scratch:

JK, hey, to echo ldp, post up some pics. I would really like to see this one. I love craftsmanship, and unique designs.

So, if the barrel seals up against the frame, could that design allow for a suppressor? Reason I ask is I know the Major has a pic of a revolver suppressed, and I wondered how that would work. Sounds like this design would do the same thing. (Not that you would want to screw up a nice gun that way) (maybe......)

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

JK, hey, to echo ldp, post up some pics. I would really like to see this one. I love craftsmanship, and unique designs.

So, if the barrel seals up against the frame, could that design allow for a suppressor? Reason I ask is I know the Major has a pic of a revolver suppressed, and I wondered how that would work. Sounds like this design would do the same thing. (Not that you would want to screw up a nice gun that way) (maybe......)

Thank you Gills, it is a good thing you caught that misplaced F and L , I changed it. It should look right now. I was working too hard on making the rest of it look right. LOL

I do not know, how that would work. You are right, I would not want to attempt it on something this nice.

Traxxis, there is always one in every crowd right? Did you see where I posted the free 1911 stocks, it was really meant for you. LOL

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure to have your camera and take some pic's!!! Those are really cool revolvers. Did it have a birdshead grip with skull crusher point/landyard hole??
What caliber?? Those MOP grips are probably original to the gun. They are worth quite alot by themselves.

They did not say when they would be bringing it to me to clean and oil it I do not plan to push the issue. So when they do, they do. I will ask them if they mind if I take some pictures of it, and post it here for others to enjoy, but it is their weapon, and I respect others privacy.

I also plan to purchase one my self, I have a few leads of where I might find one. It has the lanyard loop on the bottom, I believe it is either the small to medium frame pistol. The MOP was worn at the bottom.

It said 88 Cal. at the bottom. It is the swing out to eject. which is cool in itself, how it all meshes together perfect.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

the nagant revolver is the only revolver that can be suppressed, when cocked the cylinder moves forward to forma gas seal with the barrel, they are quieter than a .22 with target ammo

Latest posts

Top Bottom