Merwin Hulbert & Co.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't happen without pics! :)

Talk about getting bit by the bug real bad. look what I just got threw biding on, wining and purchasing a few days ago. three Merwin Hulbert & Co. revolvers. I guess I am now started down the collecting road. I even purchased a $400. book on them to tell me all about them. I have got it bad. I am even considering buying a new one built buy the company that is making the remakes of them. So that I can have the experience of shooting and having one as my concealed carry. I have got it real bad.

Here are the ones that I will have in my possession in about a week.

ai27.tinypic.com_2vhxdkw.jpg

ai27.tinypic.com_35cg2df.jpg

ai28.tinypic.com_13ykrig.jpg

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seen some use, eh?

I like that second one.

Next time I'm in OKC, I'll have to try to look you up.

Oh.... and $400 for a book? Holy crap man...

They do not make the book any more.

Good luck finding these pistols, I was very lucky finding the ones I found. Most of the ones people ever see are in museams. Do a search on the internet.

I have been doing my homework. Just wait until you actually see one for yourself. you will see what i am talking about. These are a work of art the way they are constructed. Like a swiss watch. They are like nothing you have ever seen.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You going to try and restore them? Is the one on top got a dent in the top of the frame or is that the way they are cast. I couldn't really tell from the picture. Looks interesting.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will try to restore as much as I can without, destroying the value. If there is one that I get that is so gar gone I will do one of two things, do a total restore or just use it as a parts gun to fix others i pick up along the way. For example if you notice the one on the bottom is missing the part that folds on the hammer. I am going to have to locate one to make it whole. Because the one on the top might arrive a little rough I may rob the part from it to make the one on the bottom whole.

To answer Gillman's question I have not handled these yet. I will in a week when they arrive. But the one on the top does look more pitted than the others, but I got it for less than the others, with the idea to either fix it up or use it as a parts gun. I will know when it gets here. I just hope i have not gotten myself into a bottomless money pit.

Like I was telling the gentleman above, all it takes is handling just one of these pistols, opening them up, feeling that 'suction' when the cylinder moves toward the barrel on its own with no spring, but because it is made so well. All the small innovations that are on these pistols that all still work perfectly after almost 150 years. You too will be bitten by the bug. I have always appreciate good workmanship, and innovation, I have seen it here.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will try to restore as much as I can without, destroying the value. If there is one that I get that is so gar gone I will do one of two things, do a total restore or just use it as a parts gun to fix others i pick up along the way. For example if you notice the one on the bottom is missing the part that folds on the hammer. I am going to have to locate one to make it whole. Because the one on the top might arrive a little rough I may rob the part from it to make the one on the bottom whole.

To answer Gillman's question I have not handled these yet. I will in a week when they arrive. But the one on the top does look more pitted than the others, but I got it for less than the others, with the idea to either fix it up or use it as a parts gun. I will know when it gets here. I just hope i have not gotten myself into a bottomless money pit.

Like I was telling the gentleman above, all it takes is handling just one of these pistols, opening them up, feeling that 'suction' when the cylinder moves toward the barrel on its own with no spring, but because it is made so well. All the small innovations that are on these pistols that all still work perfectly after almost 150 years. You too will be bitten by the bug. I have always appreciate good workmanship, and innovation, I have seen it here.

Those are nice!! Not to sure what you'll be able to do on the top one, depending on modle and caliber, you may just want to clean and leave alone. That second is cherry, and even as collectable as they are, I'd just have to shoot it once. The third one looks like someone tried to make it DAO, maybe leave the second alone, and shoot the crap out of the third one. Don't sweat the price on the book, I've got a few like that!!

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are nice!! Not to sure what you'll be able to do on the top one, depending on modle and caliber, you may just want to clean and leave alone. That second is cherry, and even as collectable as they are, I'd just have to shoot it once. The third one looks like someone tried to make it DAO, maybe leave the second alone, and shoot the crap out of the third one. Don't sweat the price on the book, I've got a few like that!!

Are you loading your own loads, or did you find some?

Latest posts

Top Bottom