Where/who can I take guns to for history research and/or appraisal in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILike22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a few more minutes to look at the photographs of the iron barreled one.

The engraving on the lock is much finer and more carefully executed than the barrel carving and checkering, however, locks were mass produced and exported to be assembled into guns by regional tradesmen.

The threads on the clamp screw on the cock don't have sharp crests, so they are not made to modern standards.

The barrel appears to have a touch hole with some debris in it.

The problem is the wear and tear is just not right.

This is what jumps out at me.

The stock shows no wear or rubbing from the saddle ring on the left side of the stock. Go look at any gun with a saddle ring in comparable condition and half the age, it will have ware from the saddle ring moving around.

The stock has the same patination on the grip as the rest of the gun. Folks pick up and play with guns even if they don't shoot them.

High spots on the wood should show rubbing and neighboring low areas should be darker. Look a the edge of the cheek piece, even all the way across.

I don't see handling damage consistent with the overall condition and 250 years of existence.

The screw heads are not torn up.
There is a lack of grime and dirt in places you expect it, like around the radius at the bottom of the cock where oil collects and is always hard to rub away regardless of cock position.

Also, the workmanship is inconsistent. Note that the butt plate was not properly inlayed into the top of the stock, but other parts are inlayed. Why would you do sloppy work on the butt plate, guard and do the wire work on top and take the time to carve the barrel.

Some of the brass parts show file and casting marks on areas you would expect to see ware after a few hundred years.

My best GUESS and it's just a GUESS.
The iron barreled gun is a combination of new and old parts thrown together and made to look old around the time your family acquired it.

Probably from somewhere with a thriving cottage industry of making things that look collectable for tourists.
That’s awesome. I don’t care if it’s fake or not. Just cool knowing where it came from. My family was originally from Maryland which is where my grandfather likely acquired it, but they’ve been sitting around collecting dust. Even if they’re worth nothing at all, they’ll still look cool in a display. I appreciate your input!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually are you just looking at a what are these or looking for a professional appraisal? I do know a professional appraiser in Yukon. Henry Israel is still in the business of appraising from what I understand in spite of Henry's Guns being sold. I have had him appraise firearms in the past. Glad I did, the appraisals came in handy after the boating accident.

ILike22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually are you just looking at a what are these or looking for a professional appraisal? I do know a professional appraiser in Yukon. Henry Israel is still in the business of appraising from what I understand in spite of Henry's Guns being sold.
Little bit of both. Mostly interested in the history of it, whether it’s a fake build for tourists or if it is an actual firearm, or even if it’s an amalgamation of parts made up for props or displays. I highly doubt it’s worth any real value, but it’s just been sitting for so long that I’m finally getting around to trying to see what it even is.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little bit of both. Mostly interested in the history of it, whether it’s a fake build for tourists or if it is an actual firearm, or even if it’s an amalgamation of parts made up for props or displays. I highly doubt it’s worth any real value, but it’s just been sitting for so long that I’m finally getting around to trying to see what it even is.
I'd call https://www.facebook.com/henrysguns/ (405) 494 1318 and ask for him, he works there part time now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom