Microtech OTF Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You were lucky to pay $150 have you looked at their pricing today? in the May 2023 Blade Magazine page 45, the Spyderco Sliverax in picture with CPM S30V SS Steel blade has a MSRP of $306 US price and it's made in China not Golden Colorado.

Yeah, Spyderco has increased by leaps and bounds just recently in price. I'm not what you would consider a "collector" by any stretch. I probably only have a handful of users at my disposal. But I've wanted a Para 3 for a long, long time.

I had a PM2 for a little while. Awesome knife, just too damned big in the pocket for my likings. The Para 3 offers the exact same awesomeness, in a slightly smaller, more totable size configuration.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Combat Trodon and I can attest it is not fragile .

No, the Microtech is not fragile at all. Quite the opposite actually, it's tough as nails. Just too much deniro for me to justify ownership. Like I said, it was indeed a fun toy to fiddle with though, and I'm glad I "pulled the trigger on one" even if it was only for a brief time.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the Microtech is not fragile at all. Quite the opposite actually, it's tough as nails. Just too much deniro for me to justify ownership. Like I said, it was indeed a fun toy to fiddle with though, and I'm glad I "pulled the trigger on one" even if it was only for a brief time.

I bought mine because I wanted a durable knife to use in the event of an emergency where I needed the benefits of an automatic , meaning the one handed operation . Being able to cut a seat belt or cordage you name it without having to use two hands is a huge benefit. Having owned other autos in the past , I found some to be quite fragile and have broken a few. Now I haven't pried open any crates or thrown mine across the parking lot but it has handled drops and a bunch of other things very nicely . I don't hardly ever just cut things with it though simple because I want to keep it sharp and I am getting lazy when it comes to sharpening knives these days. I have a small folding gerber I use to open mail etc

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I also have one so i know what they are.
Microtech Combat Trodon.jpg

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is where you are wrong in regards to Microtech OTF Knives, they are not delicate or fragile just watch this video .
Maybe you are posting about a microtech knock off made in China.

LOL, I've owned multiple from the UTX-70/85 up through Ultratech not to mention Marfione customs and a Deadlock from Hawk. I daily 4 figure knives. I had a spring break on the UTX 85 and I realized they are nothing more than fidget tools, they have no advantage (but plenty of disadvantages) over a basic flipper.

I stand by exactly what I said and it has nothing to do with Chinese knock-offs as I've never even held a knock off.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You were lucky to pay $150 have you looked at their pricing today? in the May 2023 Blade Magazine page 45, the Spyderco Sliverax in picture with CPM S30V SS Steel blade has a MSRP of $306 US price and it's made in China not Golden Colorado.
But who pays msrp? I’ve owned numerous spyderco’s and never paid anywhere near their msrp. Heck I sold my sliverax last year for 130 and it was lnib

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But who pays msrp? I’ve owned numerous spyderco’s and never paid anywhere near their msrp. Heck I sold my sliverax last year for 130 and it was lnib
In 2010 when working part time at a sporting goods store in the knife dept. it was shocking seeing knives selling over $200 dollars, Microtechs have always been pricy but today their "REALLY" pricy.

Spiderco with their Sprint runs giving dealers selling them to just push the prices.

Then you have the Chris Reeves Sebenca seling then for $500+ had one guy come in bought 25 to pass out to his customers, Medfords were also high and they are so damn big people looked at them i never sold one.

Speaking of Blade Magazine it's price is now $35 and all i see is pages of companies selling knives, and pages of custom knives selling for thousands when my subscription runs out thats it for Blade Mag.

After fighting my Microtech Combat Troodon since 2017 with it's hard to open, i sent it back to Microtech for some help getting it to work better for me, they told me not to even start checking on it for around two Months, then they will let me know what i must pay.

Then i plan on selling it my Ultratech is a great opening Microtech and the size is more usful as a EDC knife.

I do feel knives are a better investment then guns today.

Last edited:

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2010 when working part time at a sporting goods store in the knife dept. it was shocking seeing knives selling over $200 dollars, Microtechs have always been pricy but today their "REALLY" pricy.

Spiderco with their Sprint runs giving dealers selling them to just push the prices.

Then you have the Chris Reeves Sebenca seling then for $500+ had one guy come in bought 25 to pass out to his customers, Medfords were also high and they are so damn big people looked at them i never sold one.

Speaking of Blade Magazine it's price is now $35 and all i see is pages of companies selling knives, and pages of custom knives selling for thousands when my subscription runs out thats it for Blade Mag.

After fighting my Microtech Combat Troodon since 2017 with it's hard to open, i sent it back to Microtech for some help getting it to work better for me, they told me not to even start checking on it for around two Months, then they will let me know what i must pay.

Then i plan on selling it my Ultratech is a great opening Microtech and the size is more usful as a EDC knife.

I do feel knives are a better investment then guns today.

The knives are definitely creeping up price wise. Thing I love is, there are so many choices these days with designs and steels. I am in a few knife groups on fb and they have bst threads all the time and that is where you find the bargains.

I also picked up some crazy deals on the last spyderco 2nd sale online. If you want to make some scratch just grab up those sprints when they drop and resell. If you can grab some koenigs when they drop, people always pay over to the resellers.

I’ve tried numerous knives in the 3-500 range. Man I personally enjoy the budget stuff way more. I’m just super impressed what you can get in the 50-100 range these days with the action and materials.

Latest posts

Top Bottom