Mini split system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just installed a 24k Mr. Cool mini-split yesterday in my dads shop. Nice setup, takes some work and planning but was worth it. Ridiculously quite both inside and out and it moves a lot of air.

I ordered it from Costco for $1,556 delivered. Took about 2.5 weeks to arrive.
Are they the ones that have the lines precharged, so you don't have to pull vacuum and charge it?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2-ton mini split Trane in my 650 square foot garage that has 10” of insulation in the ceiling and non in the walls. Both of the overhead doors have insulation panels in them. It works great. Returns to temp quickly when I pull a car in or out of it. I’ve had it about 4 years now.

I think 1.5-ton may be a tad small. If mine was any bigger, I would run a split unit that uses a 2-ton outside condenser with two 1-ton inside evaporator/fan units. I initially was going to install a 1.5-ton, but my friend/installer recommended a 2-ton. The upsize cost was minimal.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread. I need to put cooling into my 1200 sq ft shop that is insulated.
Already have a central heat unit that runs on propane and a double barrel wood burning stove that will run you out of the shop in about an hour after getting it stoked up. Never used the propane at all last winter.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread. I need to put cooling into my 1200 sq ft shop that is insulated.
Already have a central heat unit that runs on propane and a double barrel wood burning stove that will run you out of the shop in about an hour after getting it stoked up. Never used the propane at all last winter.
Already having central heat wouldn’t be too bad to add a evap coil and condenser. If you ever got serious and wanted to DIY I’d be glad to come out and help ya get it started up

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they the ones that have the lines precharged, so you don't have to pull vacuum and charge it?
Yup, just screwed them together and off you go. The only drawback is if you have the units close to each other you have to coil up the excess. For my dads work shop, it’s on the back and out of sight so he didn’t care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom