Missouri Trout Tour Pics......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the wife to Branson for our 1 year anniversary and got to do a little fly fishing along the way. (I'm one lucky guy!) The first few pics are from Taneycomo. I didn't get a pic of the 22 inch bow I caught as he slipped out of my hand while I was fumbling with my camera. (I know, no pics it didn't happen). As you can see from the pics, the river was very crowded, but the fishing was great. I caught in upwards of 50 rainbows on Saturday morning. On the way home Sunday we stopped off at Roaring River. That's where I spread my dad's ashes a few years ago, and I always drop by to wet a line any time I'm within an hour or so of there. I only had a couple of hours to fish there, but did manage to catch several small rainbows. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo2.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo3.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo4.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo6.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo5.jpg

ai36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_Taneycomo7.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome pics! You did a great job on the trout
My Grandpa was a great fan of Roaring River. He fished in the trophy area? I don't know where that is, but he loved to go there.
The wife and I go to Tanneycomo every fall and most springs. I'm a newb at fly fishing but try to do what I can.
Where did you stay? We do Lillies Landing.
First pic from the gravel bar above Falls Creek into the trophy area??
We will be there around the early or mid November. Depending on our work schedule.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome pics! You did a great job on the trout
My Grandpa was a great fan of Roaring River. He fished in the trophy area? I don't know where that is, but he loved to go there.
The wife and I go to Tanneycomo every fall and most springs. I'm a newb at fly fishing but try to do what I can.
Where did you stay? We do Lillies Landing.
First pic from the gravel bar above Falls Creek into the trophy area??
We will be there around the early or mid November. Depending on our work schedule.

Dennis,
We stayed at River Run Outfitters. That's the major guide service and fly shop in the area. They are located about a mile down from the dam. I've never used their guide service or any guide service for that matter due to the ridiculous cost. They do however have two small cabins located behind the fly shop that are top notch and cost $75 per night. It's the first time we stayed there, and I will definately use them in the future.
As far as the fishing goes, I'm always looking to help someone out that is new to flyfishing. I started when I was seven and have picked up a few tricks over the past 24 years. All the "experts" on Taneycomo will tell you to use size 20 or 22 zebra midges or scuds etc etc due to it being a tailwater fishery. Don't listen to them. I've got a couple of patterns that you can fish on that river that will allow you to catch fish until your arms get tired. I went down below the dam right before dark and caught 8 fish on 8 straight casts on one of these flies. I had a guide come up to me and ask if I minded showing him what I was using as he was taking out a couple the next morning. Of course I was happy to help. On top of the right fly, the key is using the lightest line possible. You may break off a few more fish, but I promise you will hook up with a lot more than the guy next to you. 6x or 7x fluorocarbon tippett will do the trick. The fluorocarbon is about twice the price but well worth it. If you'll PM me your address I'll be happy to send you a few flies that will work well for you on your next trip. They are also very easy and cheap flies to tie yourself. Once you see them you'll be amazed how simple they are.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Porter,
Would you mind posting a picture or recipe of your fly. I would like to tie some.

Thanks,
BJS

The first one is a simple thread jig tied in white on about a 1/64 oz white jig head. The other is simply peach colored dubbing tied on a 1/64 oz peach jig head. I will try to get some pics up. These are about as simple as it gets, and they catch fish!

Latest posts

Top Bottom