Moore/newcastle tornado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KFOR is now saying only 24 dead, 9 are children. How do you have such a drastic drop in deaths? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's way lower, but how do you release info that is that far off?
The reports I heard indicated that they'd counted some of the bodies multiple times. If they were moving them around while multiple people were trying to do the tally, I can see that happening quite easily, particularly given the chaos of the situation.

F'rinstance, let's say Moore PD pulls out 15 bodies and OHP pulls out 15 bodies. Moore PD only has ambulances to carry seven of the bodies, so they take the remaining eight to the OHP area, but they're in a hurry (say, they get a call that a survivor has been found), so communications are (understandably) lacking. Moore PD reports their fifteen to the ME's office, and OHP reports the 23 bodies they now have; despite only having 30 total fatalities, there have been a total of 38 reported--and that's just between two agencies.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CNN said 91 total. They are a national news outlet, they wont be held to the standards that local stations are regarding accuracy of info. Not to mention they probably are hearing a bunch of numbers and likely just release the highest one they've heard. We all know its better for ratings to report it worse than it really is.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like between Broadway and Howard? My old homlovee was on Howard at 9th/8th. It looked to be a centered, direct hit. Have they cleared out all the survivors yet?

Lots of young families starting out in that neighborhood.

I live on Howard at 16th. knowa family who lives on the south side of 8th at Broadway and only the husband was home. He survived with just a bump on his head which was amazing because his house was almost entirely gone. On 7th and 8th of the homes are flattened. I'll get soon pics up when power is restored.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live on Howard at 16th. knowa family who lives on the south side of 8th at Broadway and only the husband was home. He survived with just a bump on his head which was amazing because his house was almost entirely gone. On 7th and 8th of the homes are flattened. I'll get soon pics up when power is restored.

Well Damn. That is terrible. I lived at 901 (which despite the numbering, was on Howard at the end of 8th street) for several years but sold and moved back to Tulsa in 2010. I knew several of the neighbors around there, especially the one older woman and her son directly north. My home had an in ground shelter and has an open invitation for all the neighbors. I'm crossing my fingers for everyone. Especially the very young girl who bought my house and moved in with her husband and kiddo.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i40.tinypic.com_ifrk45.jpg

Don't forget about this guy:

i.dailymail.co.uk_i_pix_2013_05_21_article_2328000_19E706CE000005DC_724_964x660.jpg

Can't remember his name, but I remember the logo from his avatar...

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reports I heard indicated that they'd counted some of the bodies multiple times. If they were moving them around while multiple people were trying to do the tally, I can see that happening quite easily, particularly given the chaos of the situation.

F'rinstance, let's say Moore PD pulls out 15 bodies and OHP pulls out 15 bodies. Moore PD only has ambulances to carry seven of the bodies, so they take the remaining eight to the OHP area, but they're in a hurry (say, they get a call that a survivor has been found), so communications are (understandably) lacking. Moore PD reports their fifteen to the ME's office, and OHP reports the 23 bodies they now have; despite only having 30 total fatalities, there have been a total of 38 reported--and that's just between two agencies.

Makes sense, except the reports were from the ME's office. I'd think they would only count what they have received.

Latest posts

Top Bottom