More Turnpikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think anyone had been made an offer yet...since the route is not final. Interesting.

Part of the trouble with building opposition is exactly as stated above. People look at the map and say "well, they're not taking my place" and walk away or "damn, they're taking my place".

This thing has been handled poorly since the beginning. OTA and the state decided this was happening and then told people how it was going down. No public discussion, no votes. Everyone should be opposing it just for that, whether they're in the path or not.
This is always the case, we built a new highway (SH-4) across from Mustang and Tuttle and everyone in Tuttle was against it. It was going to bring another closer route across the rive besides I-44 and SH-81. So essentially no folks in Tuttle can get to Mustang for shopping and restaurants with an 8 mile drive rather than a 25 mile drive.
People are naturally resistant to change. They like the new route now.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crap. Well I'm officially not wanting it if they choose the eastern route at the north end. That is on the in-laws property that we were planning to build a home on. Double crap. At least I've heard from others on the route that they are paying quite well for the land they're buying.

There's been more than a few people "claiming" they have been made offers. Press any of those people for proof, a piece of paper, an appraisal, anything, and no one has produced any proof yet...

Now that your officially not wanting it, I hope you weren't for it before, but now that it may impact you directly you've changed your mind...I hope that's not what you meant?

I didn't think anyone had been made an offer yet...since the route is not final. Interesting.

Part of the trouble with building opposition is exactly as stated above. People look at the map and say "well, they're not taking my place" and walk away or "damn, they're taking my place".

This thing has been handled poorly since the beginning. OTA and the state decided this was happening and then told people how it was going down. No public discussion, no votes. Everyone should be opposing it just for that, whether they're in the path or not.

I agree with poorly handled...OKC wrote a letter asking for it. The Choctaw mayor has lobbied for it...Then it ends up in Harrah...

The opposition is quite strong. Over 4800 people have signed this petition against it...

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/stop-the-eastern-oklahoma-1?source=c.em.cp&r_by=14928389

There is a rally at the capital tomorrow (3-16) from 10:00am - 12:00pm

This is always the case, we built a new highway (SH-4) across from Mustang and Tuttle and everyone in Tuttle was against it. It was going to bring another closer route across the rive besides I-44 and SH-81. So essentially no folks in Tuttle can get to Mustang for shopping and restaurants with an 8 mile drive rather than a 25 mile drive.
People are naturally resistant to change. They like the new route now.

That may be there, supposedly the people of Mustang are even looking forward to the new project there. To me that is great that they support it, but doesnt mean that EOC should be forced into it also...The difference in your example versus the Eastern Loop is that for the people of EOC it runs from no where to no where. Something East/West would do us better...The growth is unlikely to happen like Yukon or Edmond. There's not to be exits every mile, and OTA is not building side roads....I feel we'll be more like Stroud, Chandler, and Welston.

The OTA's reasoning now of relieving traffic from I35 provides EOC zero benefit. Why should we have to deal with it due to someone else's bad planning before?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OTA's reasoning now of relieving traffic from I35 provides EOC zero benefit. Why should we have to deal with it due to someone else's bad planning before?
lol, you think this is intended to serve only your area? ALL new highways in a metro are basically "relief routes" to take the load off of other highways that are at capacity. As well as make it easier for the people in EOC and NCC to get to Tulsa without having to use dilapidated 102 or other local SHs.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, you think this is intended to serve only your area? ALL new highways in a metro are basically "relief routes" to take the load off of other highways that are at capacity. As well as make it easier for the people in EOC and NCC to get to Tulsa without having to use dilapidated 102 or other local SHs.

Something like this should absolutely not only serve our area. It would be nice to be allowed some actual input though. Are you to tell me you think OTA is handling this well? No initial input from the affected citizens at all? No other ideas for routes? Maybe 4 lane an existing north/south road?

Its funny you only point out "dilapidated 102," but you fail to mention pristine 177. Do you know how far it is from where 177 crosses I44 to I40? Its ~22.5 miles. That's 1.5 miles longer than the proposed 21 mile EOC loop. Would you agree that its a good idea to spend $300 million dollars to make another N/S route just ~10.75 miles west of 177?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something like this should absolutely not only serve our area. It would be nice to be allowed some actual input though. Are you to tell me you think OTA is handling this well? No initial input from the affected citizens at all? No other ideas for routes? Maybe 4 lane an existing north/south road?

Its funny you only point out "dilapidated 102," but you fail to mention pristine 177. Do you know how far it is from where 177 crosses I44 to I40? Its ~22.5 miles. That's 1.5 miles longer than the proposed 21 mile EOC loop. Would you agree that its a good idea to spend $300 million dollars to make another N/S route just ~10.75 miles west of 177?
No I do not agree with this plan or route. 4 laning a SH to take the place of this would definately be my choice.
As far as the cost, its paid for by users, not tax dollars so could give 2 schits. I'm not a turnpike fan but I can choose to pay or use an alternate route. BUT trust me, it they build it, expansion will come. Always does.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I do not agree with this plan or route. 4 laning a SH to take the place of this would definately be my choice.
As far as the cost, its paid for by users, not tax dollars so could give 2 schits. I'm not a turnpike fan but I can choose to pay or use an alternate route. BUT trust me, it they build it, expansion will come. Always does.

I'm glad to see we are on the same page with something. Ha...I agree about the cost being paid by users, but it seems foolish to think its a good idea to operate $2 billion in debt, unless you're trying to preserve your entity. I read something somewhere about the OTA being at maximum bond indebtedness back around 2000. I do wonder what the specifics were of that were, but havent seen anything else about it...

I cant get over the idea of expansion not coming simply due to the Stroud, Welston, Chandler history. Now granted those cities aren't 20 miles east of OKC either, but they do have their own exits...The Turner turnpike has been in use for 63 years, its looks to me that all those cities between OKC and Tulsa are still waiting...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant get over the idea of expansion not coming simply due to the Stroud, Welston, Chandler history. Now granted those cities aren't 20 miles east of OKC either, but they do have their own exits...The Turner turnpike has been in use for 63 years, its looks to me that all those cities between OKC and Tulsa are still waiting...
Those areas are too far from jobs to expand I would guess. I wouldnt live there and work in OKC or Tulsa.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A public meeting is being held in Mustang tomorrow night (4/29) to discuss the west leg of the turnpike extension.

I saw that. I'm interested to see how the people of Mustang respond. I think its only to be 7 miles @ $190 million, but could affect a lot of people depending on the alignment...

Its crazy to think going this far in debt is good for anything, including the OTA. I guess its extends their lifeline....

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that. I'm interested to see how the people of Mustang respond. I think its only to be 7 miles @ $190 million, but could affect a lot of people depending on the alignment...

Its crazy to think going this far in debt is good for anything, including the OTA. I guess its extends their lifeline....
I've been looking at houses in Mustang near 152 and 59th street so I am real interested to see their proposed alignment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom