More Turnpikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They've been talking about this for the better part of 20 years.

I definitely remember the news coverage of the proposed West Outer Loop in the late 90s and early 00s while they were building the extension to the Kilpatrick. In 1999, there were three routes proposed for the southwest portion from SW15/Sara to I-35. All three looped south of Will Rogers and crossed I-44 at SW134. Three points of connecting to I-35 were proposed between Indian Hills Rd and Franklin Rd. Later a fourth route was proposed extending the Kilpatrick south along Sara and continue on HWY 4 to connect with the HE Bailey Norman Spur. Based on the current proposal, they are going with one of the three original routes.

okc2020mp.png

The following is from a 2007 amendment for the Southwest Sector of OKC (page 41):

• Consider a change from the current proposed alignment that would extend the route south from the current end point of the Kilpatrick Turnpike to the vicinity of SW 44th Street and Sara Road. The route would then head east along the south side of SW 44th Street to County Line Road and continue east along the current proposed alignment. The current alignment runs through a housing area east of Sara Road and north of SW 44th Street.
  • If sufficient funds are not available to complete the construction of the West Outer Loop within a single time frame, consider constructing the roadway in two phases. Phase one would be from the current end point of the Kilpatrick Turnpike at SW 15th Street, south and the east to the intersection with the Airport Road Expressway extension. Phase two would continue the Loop from the Airport Road intersection south and east to I-35.
Looks to me like they are taking the two-phase option.

2007amend.png

I found a 1999 article that mentioned the proposed EOC loop extending all the way to Norman, but I haven't been able to locate a planning map.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need a constitutional amendment to cap the number of turnpikes in this State.

If the State wants a new one, one of the existing turnpikes has to become a freeway.

sorry it's too late .. it's my understanding that the legislature has already pre-aproved of a rather large number of new potential turnpikes.

broken record but after the Turner turnpike was paid for .. it was suppose to revert back to state roads ... so the rats at Turnpike authority has made sure Oklahoma turnpikes will NEVER be paid for.

n 2013, Turner Turnpike earned $57,302,000, the highest revenue. The Will Rogers Turnpike earned $49,888,000, the second highest revenue. The Chickasaw Turnpike earned $710,000, the least revenue. The higher-earning turnpikes can subsidize the lower-earning turnpikes. In total, Oklahoma turnpike toll revenue totaled $232,746,000.

The OTA reported that the money earned in 2013 paid for $95,959,000 in debt service, $89,369,000 in capital plans and $74,153,000 in maintenance and operations.

Last edited:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's all well and good but the real F up was not getting the loop done connecting HE Bailey spur to the Kilpatrick. It would have been a direct loop from Norman to Edmond at 75 with no BS.

Guess I'm odd man out but I dig the turnpikes. Less traffic, smooth roads and high speed. Might be different if I had to pay to drive them everyday but for my use, tolls are a non factor.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's all well and good but the real F up was not getting the loop done connecting HE Bailey spur to the Kilpatrick. It would have been a direct loop from Norman to Edmond at 75 with no BS.

Guess I'm odd man out but I dig the turnpikes. Less traffic, smooth roads and high speed. Might be different if I had to pay to drive them everyday but for my use, tolls are a non factor.
I wouldnt be surprised if that connection is made in the future. from SH-4 north to the turnpike. However, how many cars would use it to go from Norman to Edmond daily? Not many I'm guessing. Currently there isnt enough traffic on the spur to justify its existence.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if that connection is made in the future. from SH-4 north to the turnpike. However, how many cars would use it to go from Norman to Edmond daily? Not many I'm guessing. Currently there isnt enough traffic on the spur to justify its existence.

based on previous turnpikes .. having enough traffic has no bearing on if turnpike will be built.

can't help but wonder how much land has been purchased for speculation when turnpike comes through buying up land.
proposed routes are public information, but only turnpike board members are privy to where/when turnpike will go through.

there would be $$$$ millions upon $$$ millions of profits to be made if the correct land was purchased. all legal of course since all proposed routes are public records ... smells like a rat to me ... all legal of course.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They are all fine and dandy until they decide to build one close to your yard bringing all the noise, litter and other nuisances that go with them 200 or so yards from your front door like my folks are getting ready to have to deal with. Their neighbors across the street will have it in their back yard.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
based on previous turnpikes .. having enough traffic has no bearing on if turnpike will be built.

can't help but wonder how much land has been purchased for speculation when turnpike comes through buying up land.
proposed routes are public information, but only turnpike board members are privy to where/when turnpike will go through.

there would be $$$$ millions upon $$$ millions of profits to be made if the correct land was purchased. all legal of course since all proposed routes are public records ... smells like a rat to me ... all legal of course.
Its really much more difficult than most people realize. I set new alignments all the time for ODOT. I've done thousands of them and I know the difficulties in accomplishing the goal of setting a safe, cost effective alignment that will make everyone happy. Guess what, that last part is purely impossible. There are many reason proposed alignments are kept quiet until a public meeting can be held to discuss it. Rumors get the phones ringing off the wall with people inquiring and complaining over something that isnt even a reality yet. Someone would have to be on staff 24/7 to field the calls. Also its a damn sure bet, if we leak an alignment map early, someone will run out and build a shack smack dab in the middle of it and call it a business to get 3 times the money over the bare pasture that we chose in order to dodge several houses/oil rigs/cemetery/school/hospital/political figure...the list goes on. I have seen it done plenty and THAT is a huge waste of money. We are not in the business of making people wealthy with the acquisition of land/property in order to provide better access to all Oklahomans...but we are forced to do just that almost every day.
Its a very complicated process...and a painfull one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom