Mosin 91/59 - looking for info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just found a 1891/59 built on a 1943 Izzy receiver. Anyone know what the going value on these are? After a Google search it seems the history of these variants is little known and that there is some premium for these. This one is complete but a little rough, # matching but does have the aftermarket screw on bent bolt knob and was drilled and tapped on top of the receiver for a scope mount. Bright bore and no cracks in the stock. Oddly the hand guard has brass caps.

The asking price is about what a common 91/30 would currently sell for. Wondering if it would be worth picking it up.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would place the average price in today's market at $250 - $300 for a original example in good condition. If this one's rough, D&T'd with a bubba'd bolt, I would place it closer to $125 in its current condition (if all else is original).

The good news is that you can easily swap out the bolt body while using your original bolt head (cocking piece, connector bar, firing pin, etc) and have a somewhat inexpensive fix. I haven't priced a MN bolt body lately, but you should be able to find a replacement around $40. Even with the replacement bolt body, I honestly doubt that the rifle would be valued at any more than $150 due to the D&T job.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW...the brass endcaps on the handguards are not overly common, but definitely not rare. IMO, they are encountered about as often on the 59's as on 91/30's.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a few pictures of it. Asking price is $175 (Down from $289 lol) Didn't get a pic of it but the d&t is 2 holes top center of the receiver. Honestly I'm looking at it a a shooter. Would be cheaper and less sinful than cutting down an existing 91/30 to make a carbine. It doesn't show in the pics but the finish on the stock is pretty worn.

i.imgur.com_Ltl0Ihd.jpg

i.imgur.com_ErHYUHB.jpg

Last edited:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 91/59 and it's a sweet shooter it's a 43 gun and compared to my 34 hex receiver it feels more refined.

They are a little more rare then 91/30 and I'm not sure about the carbines but I see more t53 and m44 then I do 91/59s.

Personally with the modifications they did I would put my cap on at $150 but $25 isn't going to break the bank if you want it bad enough.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$175 should have been the starting price on that rifle, not the sale price. $289 will get you a very nice 91/59 or an M38 in much better condition that hasn't been messed with. The stock has also been inletted for the bolt handle which is another big detraction. I still say $125 would be my absolute max on it...and that is probably more than it's worth.

At $175 I would much rather put the money towards an M38.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tim,

If I were undertaking this as a project rifle I would replace the bolt body, perform an arsenal type splice repair in the area that was inletted for the bolt. I am assuming that you will be refinishing the stock so that would make the splice repair relatively easy. The hardest part will be finding a piece of matching Artic Birch. You could also fill the holes in the receiver with the appropriate sized screws, carefully file them flush with the receiver, and darken to match the surrounding finish with cold blue. After doing all that you might have a $175 rifle (to the right person) that will someday be valued at more money than you have in it.

At the current asking price I personally wouldn't take it on as a project, but if you do I'd be happy to see another rifle "unbubba'd". :thumb:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all. At least now I know where the market price is. That said, I am still very tempted. I have been wanting one of these and considering Bubba already did it in, I wouldn't feel bad about cleaning it up with a refinish. I love shooting the 91/30s but they are a bit on the unwieldy side. Holding the carbine, it's much less cumbersome and from my reading the 91/59s are among the best shooters of the carbines. (See, now I'm just talking myself into it. LOL)

Besides, who doesn't love a 2 foot muzzle flash.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom