Mosin 91/59 - looking for info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, got it broke down and cleaned. Dirty but not to bad. Still has some cosmoline in the stock. But I did run into 1 issue. I cannot get the cocking knob to unscrew from the firing pin. It's locked on tight. I have an extra pin, spring, and cocking knob so if I have to do something drastic like drilling it out I can but does anyone have another idea?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, got it broke down and cleaned. Dirty but not to bad. Still has some cosmoline in the stock. But I did run into 1 issue. I cannot get the cocking knob to unscrew from the firing pin. It's locked on tight. I have an extra pin, spring, and cocking knob so if I have to do something drastic like drilling it out I can but does anyone have another idea?

Try soaking it some PB Blaster, Kroil, or other penetrating oil for a day or so.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from the range. It kicks like a mule and has a flash brighter than the sun. But man is she accurate. Standing @ 25 yds 1.5" 5 shot group, and I'm positive it's more accurate than I am.

First shot and the entire firing line looked to see who had the cannon. Well that and I think I blinded everyone with the flash....

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and here is my friend shooting the 91/59. Now THAT is a flame thrower.

i.imgur.com_DclDsDM.jpg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, soaked the bolt in PB for 2 days, no luck. Tried carb cleaner, no luck.
Still works, but will not separate. Afraid I may have to drill the firing pin out....
I do have a spare firing pin, spring, and cocking knob so I can reassemble if I do need to go that route.
Or should I just work a little oil back into the assembly and leave it be for now?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a version of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If the reason you want to separate it is just because you don't like to be told you can't, then there's not much hope for you. :) Go ahead and have at it. However, if you are happy with the way it shoots and performs, why not shoot and enjoy? As you might guess, I say "let it be". You can always mess it up later.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for leaving it be.

Take the bolt head and connector off, blow out any penetrating oil that has seeped inside, reassemble, check your firing pin protrusion...if it's in spec, call it good.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I did finally get the bolt apart. It took a vise and a pair of pliers to get the firing pin unscrewed. Turns out a previous owner cross threaded the firing pin into the cocking knob. (How they did this i have no idea.)

Luckily I have extras of both. After replacing the parts, cleaning and a very light oiling the bolt now moves a lot easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom