Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stwfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a home defense/ target shooting shotgun. I have narrowed it down to two choices. I am wanting the Mossberg 500 special purpose or the Remington 870 Express tactical. I am just wanting some feedback on the pros and cons of each shotgun before I buy one. I have never shot either one but I am wanting some info from people who have.

It must be 18.5in barrel, factory inserted extension capable of 7-8 rounds, drilled and tapped reciever to accept ghost rings.

Any info you guys can give me on either shotgun and which you think is better and why to make my decision easier would be helpful! Also, I am new to the forum and am looking forward to some discussion on this and happy to be here. Thanks!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the similarities between the two are much more numerous than their differences. Often, people will attach some sort of stock with a pistol grip, and in doing so, you need to consider the safety location on the Mossberg, which doesn't make for the most ergonomic placement since it resides on the top rear of the receiver versus Remi's traditional spot.

I've shot both and after the safety is disengaged, if I were to close my eyes and pull the trigger I couldn't tell you which is which.

Stwfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the similarities between the two are much more numerous than their differences. Often, people will attach some sort of stock with a pistol grip, and in doing so, you need to consider the safety location on the Mossberg, which doesn't make for the most ergonomic placement since it resides on the top rear of the receiver versus Remi's traditional spot.

I've shot both and after the safety is disengaged, if I were to close my eyes and pull the trigger I couldn't tell you which is which.

I will attach a stock with a pistol grip on it. Haven't really looked at which one yet but I will put one on it eventually.

like2shoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the Mossberg, second one I've had. First was a 500A, and now I've got the 590. Don't know about the 18.5 inch barrel with 7-8 shot capacity. I had to get a 20 inch barrel to get that. Love the gun and would recommend it to anyone.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a 500A with 20" barrel and full length mag tube which allows 7-2 3/4" shells or 8-2 1/2" shells. Dad has 870 with 18 1/2" barrel with mag tube extension and you get 6-7 without going to a longer tube extension that protrudes beyond the barrel. I think you have more options on accesories with the 870, but to add Ghost rings to his we had to drill and tap the rear of the reciever and glue the front over the front pin sight. Worked just fine, but my 500 is already drilled and tapped for either Ghost ring or picatinny rail. Mine has the Speed feed stock with pistol grip and it makes the safety hard to engage/disengage. I am actually thinking of going with a standard speed feed because of this. I like the them both and it really just comes down to what you plan to do to it. The one thing I wish was different about my 500 is the mag tube. I wish it was designed to accept extensions instead of the the way it comes.