Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The older Remington Wingmasters are best pump shotguns every made. Mid 50s - Early 80s. Incredible weapons! They have stood the test of time, were built by craftsman, used high quality parts (Forged steel, no MIM), etc.... No pump shotgun currently made can touch them, or even get close for that matter.

Comparing the newly manufacturer models that I have used, I'd rank them like this:

1. Mossberg 590A1
2. Remington Wingmaster
3. Norinco (IAC 982 Hawk/ H&R Pardner)
4. Remington Express
5. Mossberg 500
6. Benelli Nova/Super Nova
7. Maverick 88

I've heard good thing about the Rock Island Pumps, but I don't have much experience with them. I've heard both good and bad thing on the Turkish pumps.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 500s have always felt somewhat cheap to me. Too light weight, they rattle like crazy, and I don't like plastic on shotguns! The 590a1s on the other hand are rock solid, and I actually prefer the added weight! The fit and finish is night and day between the two. The thicker barrel, bayonet lug, parkerized finish, and lack of plastic are all worth the price for the upgrade. There are also a few key mechanical upgrade on 590a1s.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take the 870 as it is faster to switch ammo types. Mossberg's design suffers when you're loaded with buck and need to get a slug into the chamber asap

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please elaborate.

P.S. My 500ATP doesn't have a lick of plastic.

Neither does my 500AB. The 590a1s have an improved and stronger barrel ring lug, beefier extractors, and they have a stronger action bar to bolt connection. I believe there are a number of other parts/components that the military specified to be beefed up, but I don't know what they all are.