Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you ok with resetting the trigger finger :uhh:

What happens when you grab any other long gun or a handgun for that matter ...there only handful crossbolt safety firearms out there, and most of them are a source of complaints (ie Marlin and Benelli).

I suppose it's a matter of choice and training. Since both my shotty's have the safety on the trigger guard, that's what I'm used to. For me it's an easier reset than the thumb safety. Go with what you're good with in a hot situation. My pistol doesn't have a manual safety. Even better.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My choice, Rem 870. Parts everywhere and a model that has been around 40+ years. Price, weight, components, and accessories are very comparable. Biggest difference to me is the safety on the Remi. Good luck, you can't go wrong with either shotty!

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I've fiddled with the inner workings of both of these shotguns from what I remember the trigger group was much harder to disassemble/reassemble on the Mossberg, it also looked slightly less robust. The dual extractors were smaller than the 870s therefore more prone to breakage and if one breaks it's not as if the other will make up for it the gun will not function properly. The newer plastic safety buttons on the 500 feel cheap and would probably break if knocked up against something hard like a rock. I see little benefit of either shotguns position of the safety over the others but with a pistolgrip stock it's 870 safety all the way. Either shotgun would probably be fine but in the longrun I think you can depend on the 870 to last longer so I choose 870.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never could warm up to a 500, but I had been using a 870 for a few years before trying a 500. I've had 3-4 870s over the years but this one is my favorite. ScatterGun Technologies built gun that is about 19 years old now. Quite a few miles on it and rounds through it.
dsdd.com_guns_870.jpg

GUZ371

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 870 Tactical. I had some issues with the empty shell not being able to extract (due to the barrel being rough, fix was to bore it out) After the problem was fixed she eats everything I feed her.