Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own both, I like the steel receiver on the 870, but the 500/590 are much easier to load. You don't have to push down on the latch. Plus my 590 has a bayonet lug. As if a 12 gauge isn't scary enough, put a bayonet on it.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
870 owner here...they look more stylish and they aren't made by a tacticool obsessed company...nuff said
doesn't matter which one shoots better...
If ya wanna piss off some liberals, get the Mossberg, add a bayonet, and about as many tacticool features and make that thing look deadly enough to kill a T-rex.
If wanna a classic, smooth, slick, simple shotgun, go with the 870...

^sarcasm btw^

Stwfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I am kind of leaning towards a 870. From what I've read other places, it has more accessories, can get a 18.5 in barrel with extension and the receiver seems to be made nicer. Any thoughts?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, the similarities between the two are much more numerous than their differences. Often, people will attach some sort of stock with a pistol grip, and in doing so, you need to consider the safety location on the Mossberg, which doesn't make for the most ergonomic placement since it resides on the top rear of the receiver versus Remi's traditional spot.

I've shot both and after the safety is disengaged, if I were to close my eyes and pull the trigger I couldn't tell you which is which.

This. Both are great shoguns. I went with the 870 because of the Mossberg's safety location.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I am kind of leaning towards a 870. From what I've read other places, it has more accessories, can get a 18.5 in barrel with extension and the receiver seems to be made nicer. Any thoughts?

I have an 870 and a friend of mine has a 500 here in Stillwater, if you gotta a place to shoot, I'm sure we can work something out so you can try them both...

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a smooth action, the release in the mossberg location and the safety in the 870's location, get a winchester spx. Smoothest action out there. An 870 or 500 is fine as well, I just picked up a 20in 500. It was used, and the action is a lot smoother than one off the shelf, so I imagine a new one with a few hundred rounds through it would feel the same. I am happy with it. I wanted an 870, wanted to like the 870, but cant get over the location of the release. Decided and was looking for an SPX field/camp combo, and just came across a deal I couldnt pass up on the 500.