Mower Deck Cleanout Made Easy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fought my mower decks clogging up on my zero turns and it was a ***** to keep clean for the last several years! I installed water clean out nozzles on my decks and they have solved my issues! Hook the hose and let it run a few minutes, depends on how wet I mow that determines the length of “wet” clean out running time!

@rawhide helped out on suggesting the cutting out excess metal under the deck that is utilized when using a grass catcher. The excess metal encourages the clogging! I will never use a grass catcher so cut off the obstructed metal. Thanks @rawhide !!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fought my mower decks clogging up on my zero turns and it was a ***** to keep clean for the last several years! I installed water clean out nozzles on my decks and they have solved my issues! Hook the hose and let it run a few minutes, depends on how wet I mow that determines the length of “wet” clean out running time!

@rawhide helped out on suggesting the cutting out excess metal under the deck that is utilized when using a grass catcher. The excess metal encourages the clogging! I will never use a grass catcher so cut off the obstructed metal. Thanks @rawhide !!

View attachment 493307
View attachment 493308
Glad I could help. Just passed on what was shared with me.

Keep an eye on the backside of the deck. Mine began to separate at the point where it was cut and had to be welded.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Just passed on what was shared with me.

Keep an eye on the backside of the deck. Mine began to separate at the point where it was cut and had to be welded.

Hustler recalled this deck two years ago for that very issue. They put a new deck on mine and it has an added plate on the outside. The mower had 80 hours on it then, now it is at 130. I mowed a small place with it the first 4 years. Thanks!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 493307
View attachment 493308
I just recently installed the wash out nozzles on my zero turn; haven't had a chance to give it a real good test yet, but I'm hopeful.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do this with all my mowers but instead of installing a hose hookup, I just drilled a 3/8" hole and would hold the hose end against the hole for a minute.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do this with all my mowers but instead of installing a hose hookup, I just drilled a 3/8" hole and would hold the hose end against the hole for a minute.

You a cheap ass! Hook up and go get a beer for a few minutes!

IMG_0197.png

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently installed the wash out nozzles on my zero turn; haven't had a chance to give it a real good test yet, but I'm hopeful.

Lower the deck as low as you can when running it hooked up. Stand back and watch the **** fly out and turn clear. I do it after every mow. Real wet mows and such it will take around 3 to 5 minutes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never personally washed out under a mower deck as an adult.
My dad always had me stand on the handle of the push mower he used to mow with and he would direct a stream from a garden hose to it to wash it out.
I have to change blades on the Bad Boy 60" zero turn every year, and have never seen a build up that would require a clean out.
Maybe it's the sandy soil that destroys the blades keeps the buildup in check?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hustler recalled this deck two years ago for that very issue. They put a new deck on mine and it has an added plate on the outside. The mower had 80 hours on it then, now it is at 130. I mowed a small place with it the first 4 years. Thanks!
It only took Hustler 10 years to decide to recall? The dealer I bought from told me in 2013 that it needed to be a recall and Hustler refused. He stopped selling the 48 because of it.

I shopped new comparable mowers this year and gave up. A comparable new mower is $8-10k. For that price I'd rather keep using mine and maybe buy a hydraulic offset flail mower for about half that to mower everything except the lawn immediately around the house. That would allow me to mowe the ditch banks and pond dam as well as most of what I'm mowing now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom