My turn- Neighbor borrowed my riding mower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad bought a new chainsaw, we were clearing a couple trees out and trimming some dead fall out of others.
2 weeks later, neighbor comes over and asks about borrowing chainsaw. Dad had worked with the neighbor for 15 years, but had only been neighbors for 6 months.

He used the chainsaw for 2 days and brought it back, clean and full of gas / oil.

The next weekend, I went to use the saw and it wouldn't cut warm butter. Dad sees Cooter outside, walks over and Cooter starts to show him the raised bed flower beds he had built his wife out of railroad ties! Dad sees a chainsaw sitting on his firewood rack and asks about it.
Cooter replys, "the chain wasn't sharp enough and yours was new."

From then on, if Cooter asked to borrow anything, he was told I had it.
After several times of being told I had it, Cooter says, "He has a good job, why don't you tell him to buy his own?"

Some people's children.

‐‐‐-----------------------
I woke up, hearing noises. I look out and see my car hauler leaving. I recognized the pick up as a coworker. It was early, not a big deal, he had used it before.
Just before dark, he returns the trailer.
Has a young guy with him. Turns out to be his son (28 yo).
The next weekend, get up, trailer is gone.
Start to work Monday, no trailer. Ask Charles about it, he knows nothing. I call cops and report it stolen.
2 weeks later, I get home from work and trailer is there. Deck is tore up, 1 tire Shredded. I chained to a tree. Called cops to report.
Get to work the next day, Charles tells me, his son took trailer and loaned to his buddy to move some heavy equipment.
Next day, he says to get price for replacement deck and 4 tires, his son will be paying for it. Son came to house on Friday and brought cash.
Charles borrowed trailer several times, usually helping out a church member to moved.

I rarely borrow anything. I usually end up on the short end when loaning anything.
Burn me and don't ever ask, again. But, getting burnt by X doesn't mean Y is a bad person.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A neighbor goes to his farmer neighbor and asked to borrow his plow and the farmer tells him he can’t loan it today because he is making soup.

A few weeks go by and the neighbor goes back to see his farmer neighbor and asks if he can borrow an axe and the farmer says to him, “Not today, I’m making soup”.

Another few weeks go by and the neighbor goes to the farmer and asks him if he can borrow his chainsaw. The farmer replies, “Not today, I’m making soup”.

The neighbor says to the farmer, “I have come by three times to borrow something and every time you tell me no because you are making soup, what’s this all making soup about.

The farmer replies, “One excuse is just as good another excuse.”

So whenever I hear someone making an excuse, I tell them they are just making soup.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dislike having to borrow things or loan them out. I try to be helpful when I can. I always ask myself this question before I try to borrow something, am I going to need this again in the future or do I only need it this one time. If I feel I will need it again I will save the money and go buy it. I know I can’t afford everything but I don’t borrow anything very often. The things I don’t mind loaning or borrowing is assistance when it’s needed

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like @swampratt would probably have to bring his own garden hose if that guy doesn’t even have his own mower lol
He has his own mower.
I fixed it for him. It is an older Honda self propelled the good one with thick aluminum deck.

He mowed less than 1/3 of his yard with it and used another neighbors rider to finish.
I mowed his yard for 1.5 years with a non self propelled push mower for free.

DONE and DONE

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt -- I am disheartened that anyone would do you this way. I know you have offered to do plenty for us over the years and though I never took you up on any of the offers -- I'd NEVER want to take advantage of your kindness -- it does make me feel like that maybe when I'm 90 and Grumpy is in a home I could ask for help if I needed it. I will never understand people who mistreat others this way ...

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy growing up whose parents would help out anyone they could. They let another family they were friends with borrow a spare car they had when theirs broke down until they could get theirs fixed the next payday. They got it returned 8 months later once it started having issues and the family decided to finally fix their car. It had 12k more miles on it than when it was lent out and the oil had not been changed once. There’s a very fine line between helping people and being taken advantage of, and if you’re not careful you find yourself on the wrong side of that line.
It's one's personal responsibility to know the difference between helping someone or being taken advantage of. One gets what one allows.....even from one's government. Haven't shot any politicians in close to 247 years, and that is why we get what we get from those jackals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom