My backyard boat puller.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a Prius just a bit smaller.
I have a 20HP automatic( red mower) and a 15 HP automatic (Orange) riding mower and neither one will pull my boat or trailer around the yard.
It's a tight turn in my small back yard and i usually used my Geo metro but I sold it.
Lots of back and forth with the car or truck so a mower does well.

Those 2 newer mowers SUCK!!!! just slips the clutch and smell burning and no pulling action, that is a big disappointment, all that power and you can't work it.

The green mower is a 1980 Gambles with a 3 speed transmission. You are solid in gear and it pulls anything I need pulled into the yard.
Wife was 10 years old and used that Gambles in Missouri to mow her grandfathers yard/barn area.
My kids mowed with it and my grand kid has driven it around the yard.

I removed the mower deck about 4 years ago and it just gets used for pulling duty.
10HP briggs and original rear tires from 1980 on three corners.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

That Orange one I got as a busted mower and fixed it and used the deck off the Gambles to repair the rusted out deck on this newer one.
That and a lot of fiberglass.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt ,
When pulling trailers, there is "pulling" load and also "tongue" weight.
It's pretty cool that your old mower has the pulling capacity, but I'd be concerned about hurting the mower transaxle from too much tongue weight.

You might think about making a dolly for the boat trailer. The dolly takes the tongue weight - and the mower only pulls the dolly.

Like....
https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-trailer-dolly-60533.html
Just something to consider.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had water in the pontoons and pulled it from the street up the driveway into the back yard.
Well up the driveway then it went into a wheelie and started spinning the rear tires Not enough traction.

I got my son and his buddy to help.
My son sat on the front of the mower and his friend stood on the tongue of the trailer.
That got it motivated and steering.
I should weigh the tongue weight.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got the mower you need for that but im not ready to get rid of it just yet lol.
Its a Kubota 1800 with a 3 cyc diesel with R1 tires ,my biggest problem with it a lot of time is finding ground that will hold it up I have used it to pull some big limbs with when cleaning up in the pecan orchard.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old school mower still working. Every time I run this Gravely it blows my mind. Going to look at a 1921 with the Studebaker Engine Sat.

Jinx on the dolly suggestion above @-Pjackso ! Those dollys work!

@swampratt I seen your yard, if it were not as steep I’d suggest bigger front tires on the old mower, maybe stronger axle up front and push it around, easier with rear steer.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20200702_100405.jpg

1985 JD Hydro 185 w/ 17hp FC540V Kawasaki motor still going strong. Replaced belts and fuel lines winter before last. Rebuilt the deck with all new bearings and idlers this last winter. The spindles are steel and cast iron and massive, but just glad they're rebuildable.
20220319_124929.jpg

It's nice to mow now without all the screeching and squealing of bad spindle bearings.
I keep threatening to sell it and just use push mowers for my smallish lot and a 1/4, but when it only takes 30 minutes to mow in 100+* heat, I come to my senses again. Lol. As long as you keep the battery topped off and a good igniter box on it, it will start up each and every time. She's no lightweight and I cuss every time I have to pull the deck off. New shoes are waiting to be put on as soon as the temps get back to halfway reasonable in the garage.
I agree with others on here in that they don't build them like they used to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom