Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great grandfather settled on 40 acres in what was to be GC during the great land run. Bought lots of others land as they couldn't stand the droughts, floods, wildfires, Indian raids, etc. Bought them for a train ticket back to St Louis.
Guess my roots are there.

Dennis you are being too modest about your great grandfather. He sounds like a very wise man and that doesn't just make him great but an excceptionally great grandfather. You're a lucky man.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis you are being too modest about your great grandfather. He sounds like a very wise man and that doesn't just make him great but an excceptionally great grandfather. You're a lucky man.

I never knew him, as he passed away before my birth, but I have a couple of books from the GC historical society that have stories of the people that settled that area after the land run. It was rough times for the people that came from east of the mississippi.
At that time there were no trees, with grass higher than a buffalo. Wildfires from lightning was common, burning out crops, and homes, and killing domestic animals.
A rough time to settle a new land. Those that made it were a tough lot.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis that is how we got our original 160 acres in major county.... was land run.... by my great grandfather.... then my grandfather bought heaps of 160 homesteads when people went west for California in 1930's.... I hear stories of some 160 homesteads he bought for as little as $5.00 each.... since my dad is 77 this month.... the stories are getting better with age......

Latest posts

Top Bottom