Multi-Caliber Handgun Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm at the very beginning stages of reloading, ie., I have the Lyman reloading book and am reading it and putting together a shopping list.

One of the things I'm trying to accomplish (at first anyway) is simplicity and I'm looking for one good all-around powder for 9mm, 38 special, 357 and 44 mag.

Now, obviously I'm not going to achieve maximum results with the same powder in all 4, but I'm having trouble deciding what might work best for general range usage. I might be more willing to use two powders if one was a general purpose and the other was a little more suited to my two magnums.

While the book is helpful, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AA#5 would be a good one too. It's just about like Unique in that it's very versatile. Not super clean burning but neither is Unique.

Win 231 would work good up to .38 special loads, but no so good in the magnums.

ETA: I didn't see any data for #5 in the 44 mag. Unique is probably your best bet if you only want one powder.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read several times that Unique isn't particularly clean burning, is this just a function of the more general purpose powders and/or are there alternatives?

Also, if I decide to go with two powders, I would probably prefer something a little more "exotic" for my magnum loads, possibly H110, but there again, I don't have much experience and don't know what the trade-off's would be with that powder, so anyone's experience with it would be great to hear about as well.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HP38/WIN231 (same powder)
H110/WIN296 (same powder)
These two powders will cover everything from .38 wadcutters to the stoutest magnum loads.
Using a slow powder for light loads and a fast powder for heavy loads are beginner mistakes. You need at least 2 different powders to cover the full velocity range.
If you get a medium powder, you need to stick to medium loads.

Obviously, there are several combinations of fast and slow powders that will work in these calibers.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HP38/WIN231 (same powder)
H110/WIN296 (same powder)
These two powders will cover everything from .38 wadcutters to the stoutest magnum loads.
Using a slow powder for light loads and a fast powder for heavy loads are beginner mistakes. You need at least 2 different powders to cover the full velocity range.
If you get a medium powder, you need to stick to medium loads.

Obviously, there are several combinations of fast and slow powders that will work in these calibers.

This is another combination I was thinking about, but it seems Unique has so many load options that it might be a better all around'r and step into H110 for the heavier stuff.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is another combination I was thinking about, but it seems Unique has so many load options that it might be a better all around'r and step into H110 for the heavier stuff.

^^^ This.

Unique will load magnums to fairly stout levels just not to the fire breathing levels of H110/296. It is probably the best powder available for top level magnum loads followed closely by 2400 and AA#9, especially with heavy bullets. The Unique will do well with the lighter bullets in the magnums but if you want all the velocity you can get H110/296 is the one.

Edit: I'll add that you do NOT want to reduce your charges with H110/296 by much. Only use published load data from the manufacturer. If you do that it's a fun powder to "play around with". And Rod Snell is right, I think they are the same powder with different labels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom