Multi-Caliber Handgun Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Unique can be used in all of those. I load it for .357 Mag to good effect. Ask Dustin what he thought of my .357 loads. Not as hot as they can get, but still plenty stout. And they do good out of my shorter barrels. I think H110 is at it's best in the longer barrels for maximum results.

I use Bullseye in 9mm, .38, and .45. I understand it can be used in light magnum loads too. The one caution with Bullseye, is it takes incredibly small amounts of powder, so it would be easy to double charge a case with and never notice until the KaBoom!!. IE, I load 2.8gr Bullseye under 158gr swc bullets for .38. At that charge, I could easily triple charge the case, if not more without overflowing. Great powder, be extremely cautious using it. I started with it, not knowing what I was doing, and never had a problem. So it can be done.

Titegroup can be used in a lot, but I don't know about the magnum loads.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Unique in 38sp, 357, 9mm, 44sp, 44mag, and 45Acp with very good results. A little dirty but not a problem.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is another combination I was thinking about, but it seems Unique has so many load options that it might be a better all around'r and step into H110 for the heavier stuff.

Unique fans (they can be very assertive) plug your ears.

If you have to make power in IDPA or USPSA, be aware Unique is temp sensitive (power factor goes down in cold weather) and it does not meter as uniformly in progressive presses as finer powder like Titegroup and HP38. You can fail chrono check with it at an inopportune time.
And you really don't want to use Unique for very light loads (smoke and residue).

Unique is really good for medium pistol loads, especially if you don't have to be concerned about exact power factor. I use it in 20ga skeet loads too. Sarted using it in 1970.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HP38/WIN231 (same powder)
H110/WIN296 (same powder)
These two powders will cover everything from .38 wadcutters to the stoutest magnum loads.
Using a slow powder for light loads and a fast powder for heavy loads are beginner mistakes. You need at least 2 different powders to cover the full velocity range.
If you get a medium powder, you need to stick to medium loads.

Obviously, there are several combinations of fast and slow powders that will work in these calibers.

This is the best possible answer.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
another Unique fan here. Never used it for rifle, but it does have an offering for 45/70 I noticed. But I have used it for a coupe of decades for 9mm to 44mag with good success.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So, I'm at the very beginning stages of reloading, ie., I have the Lyman reloading book and am reading it and putting together a shopping list.

One of the things I'm trying to accomplish (at first anyway) is simplicity and I'm looking for one good all-around powder for 9mm, 38 special, 357 and 44 mag.

Now, obviously I'm not going to achieve maximum results with the same powder in all 4, but I'm having trouble deciding what might work best for general range usage. I might be more willing to use two powders if one was a general purpose and the other was a little more suited to my two magnums.

While the book is helpful, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Note bolded parts

Unique fans (they can be very assertive) plug your ears.

If you have to make power in IDPA or USPSA, be aware Unique is temp sensitive (power factor goes down in cold weather) and it does not meter as uniformly in progressive presses as finer powder like Titegroup and HP38. You can fail chrono check with it at an inopportune time.
And you really don't want to use Unique for very light loads (smoke and residue).

Unique is really good for medium pistol loads, especially if you don't have to be concerned about exact power factor. I use it in 20ga skeet loads too. Sarted using it in 1970.

Not a Unique "fanboy" just saying that for a single all around powder (note first bolded part), Unique is a very viable solution. And I don't think what he wants contradicts what you said, if you note the second bolded part -he's wanting a general all purpose powder, not looking for extremes.

This is the best possible answer.

I would agree, the best situation is to have powders for specific purposes. And, the OP could buy W231 first, as it is listed for all 4 of those loads. Then add H110 later when ready to move up to hot magnum loads.

All that, and I have probably half a dozen pistol powders under my bench.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unique can be used from light to "+P" levels easily. It's my "go to" powder. Used kegs of the stuff. Little dirty but I don't mind cleaning.

231 can be used in lots of light to medium loads but in my experience it goes from being OK to being to hot without much warning.

2400 works well in mid to stout stuff but if I am wanting to load really hot, I go to 296 or H110. I know they are supposed to be "the same powder" but many of the manuals show different weight with the same bullet. As stated before follow 296 loads exactly.....gets unpredictable when loaded too light. NEVER err on too light.....follow the recipe....usually calls for mag primers. If you want a slower load....get a different powder.

Goes without saying but I am going to say it anyway. If you are planning on using a powder dispenser of some type, throw and weigh many charges to see how much it can vary and make sure your thrown charges are always in between min and max. Powder type (ball, flake, stick) and dispenser type (RCBS vs Lee for example) and they way you operate it (fast, slow, hard, soft.....oh get your mind out of the gutter) can all work together to easily throw unsafe charges if your chosen load is near the min/max. Another reason I like Unique....often the range of acceptable weights is wider than some other powders and for mass produced ammo, that wide range makes me breathe easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom