Multi-Caliber Handgun Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very few powders will beat Titegroup and Vihtavouri N320 in versatility.
Jess

Jess has a considerable amount of experience in both standard and heavy caliber guns, so if he has a recommendation, I'd listen. Funny that he makes the same recommendations that I would. :)

I've used Titegroup in 9mm, .40, .45ACP and .38 Special with excellent results. I used a +P Titegroup load to win the IDPA Stock Service Revolver division championship in 2005 with a S&W Model 19. I used VV N320 in my .45ACP loads for CDP at matches. Probaly my only knocks on these powders is that N320 is expensive and Titegroup burns hot.

For Magnum loads I only use H110. If I could pick only one powder it would be Titegroup.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What manual are you guys using for N320 load data? Mine only uses that powder in .45 ACP and Long Colt.

Try the Vihtavuori reloading guide, Lyman, or the Hornady manual.

Truthfully, I really like www.loaddata.com for finding load information. It's a subscription based service but it's a database of all the major powder and bullet manufacturers published reloading data. It's great because you can search by caliber, bullet weight, or powder.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been reloading for 25 yrs.+. used most of the Vihtavouri powders long before they were imported here in the early 90's, originally being from Europe myself.
N310 and N320, is actually the same powder, only the granulates in 310 is smaller and burn faster. Like so many others, I was searching for the "load", especially for 38 spl. and 9mm. Tried Vit. N33, N 37, N38, 310, 320, 330, 340 and 350 most of the time.
N310 and N320 came out on top every time. Never found an american made powder which could truely substitute N310, but the former SuperLite and now Titegroup comes very close to N320. The older style Bullseye was pretty close, but the new improved is a little to slow to compare.
N310, is the ultimate powder for .380, 9mm, 38 spl. 45 ACP, but is very unforgiving if not respected and used right.
Back when I shot with Brian Enos in AZ, we discussed using N310 for 40S&W, which were borderline for major, but N320 almost close to being perfect.
Price on imports is a concern for some, but thats were Titegroup comes into play.
Ok, some say it burns too hot etc. being double based. But hey ! since I'm neither the gun, brass or bullet, I don't really care about that. I care about the results on the target. Like to go on but...later guys.
Jess

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, judging powder for a particular application entails a lot of thought. While accuracy is important, it's not my top priority. Of top importance to me is clean burning and stability through a range of conditions. I do not like temperamental powders. Next is accuracy and low standard deviation through a broad range of bullet and powder charge weights. These traits all add up to a reliable load that is repeatable in accuracy and recoil impulse that's not temperature sensitive. When I go to the chrono, there are no surprises. I will make power without going overboard.

If loading for hunting (which I almost never do), accuracy and velocity are most important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom