Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started getting stuff out this evening, to get organized. Have to sight in Friday as that's my first day off.
Got several new bullet/sabot combo's to try.

Going by myself this time. Last season, I took a guy that wanted to try the Savage Smokeless. We got to talking, and he left the ramrod in the barrel. I didn't see it in time, but he shot and fell backwards off the bench. I caught the rifle before it hit the ground, so the scope should be ok.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that doesn't sound fun (the ramrod deal)! I took off after lunch today to sight mine in, it didn't go too well. Shot til my dang shoulder hurt, and til I'm pretty sure it got me to flinching and gave up. I'm trying a "new" process this year, where I'm cleaning after every shot and it aint going good so far! Not sure if its this process or the scope/mounts; after I shot about 9 times with no zero in sight, I took the scope, rings and bases off and remounted everything. Will try again on Thursday probably; usually have this gun sighted in pretty quick. Good luck to all that will be out with smokepoles this year! :)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been shooting a muzzleloader for years and have never even come close to leaving the ramrod in the barrel, but now I will probably do it the next time I shoot mine.

I am shooting a NULA smokeless and really like it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that doesn't sound fun (the ramrod deal)! I took off after lunch today to sight mine in, it didn't go too well. Shot til my dang shoulder hurt, and til I'm pretty sure it got me to flinching and gave up. I'm trying a "new" process this year, where I'm cleaning after every shot and it aint going good so far! Not sure if its this process or the scope/mounts; after I shot about 9 times with no zero in sight, I took the scope, rings and bases off and remounted everything. Will try again on Thursday probably; usually have this gun sighted in pretty quick. Good luck to all that will be out with smokepoles this year! :)

What gun/bullet combo are you shooting?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contemplating not going. Place I hunted up on chilocco creek last weekend had jack squat for deer. Anyone else seeing fewer numbers than in previous years?

Yes I am in my area, but Chilocco creek has always been a hot bed of deer. There was water in the creek even during the drought, so that shouldn't have any effect I'd think.

Sure wouldn't give up on it if it were me.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What gun/bullet combo are you shooting?
I'm shooting an older CVA Optima 50 cal, Barnes 240 gr (.451 hollowpoint bullets w/sabots), 209 primers, 2 White Hot pellets. I'm starting to think its one of those ML's that might shoot better when its a little dirty; the last few years I only cleaned it every 5/6 shots before season and it shot better I believe. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting it right with a clean barrel, since I normally sight it in, clean it up then hunt with it. Always worry when I'm shooting that first hunting shot through a clean bore that it will be off a little; maybe not?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Contemplating not going. Place I hunted up on chilocco creek last weekend had jack squat for deer. Anyone else seeing fewer numbers than in previous years?

Craziness man!:) Go hunt it! There were about 300 hunters at MCAAP hunting last weekend.............conservation around the campfire was "we're only seeing deer between 10-2", were you out between those times last weekend?

Latest posts

Top Bottom