Muzzleloader Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern - T/C Omega w/ Nikon Scope.
I’ve been loading up w/ 100 grains of Hodgdon
IMG_9710.jpeg
Pyrodex Select powder and using T/C XTP sabots (240 gr). I‘ve just been shooting the old style sabots because I have a bunch of them and hate to waste them. They seem to shoot well enough.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was debating how to get drawn for anything in AZ, I once put in for ML elk and/or deer (Mule) to increase my odds. Did not get drawn (no big surprise), so I never actually bought one. The rifle that caught my eye was the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader.

They're allegedly accurate and cervid-deadly to 300 yards. They are ignited by a specially trimmed .308 case primed with a specified magnum rifle primer.

The one below looks very much like my Remington 5R Mil-Spec in .300 Win Mag; stainless with a H-S Precision stock. Plus, if I actually bought one, I'd probably start re-loading to trim and re-prime the .308 cartridges it uses

1698029231759.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was debating how to get drawn for anything in AZ, I once put in for ML elk and/or deer (Mule) to increase my odds. Did not get drawn (no big surprise), so I never actually bought one. The rifle that caught my eye was the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzle Loader.

They're allegedly accurate and cervid-deadly to 300 yards. They are ignited by a specially trimmed .308 case primed with a specified magnum rifle primer.

The one below looks very much like my Remington 5R Mil-Spec in .300 Win Mag; stainless with a H-S Precision stock. Plus, if I actually bought one, I'd probably start re-loading to trim and re-prime the .308 cartridges it uses

View attachment 422776
I’m not sure how many different guns or models they make breech plugs for, but I have a Variflame plug in the Omega that utilizes large rifle or magnum large rifle primers for a hotter ignition than 209‘s. The “carrier” for the primer is only slightly larger than a 209.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were going to be home, it would be the Savage Smokeless. Going to miss the MZ season this year.
Several years ago, bought a SXS MZ loading shotgun and always wanted to develop a slug load to take a deer with. Cut open a couple of 12 ga forester slug shells to get the slug and with a little pressure got it past the cylinder choke with a light charge. It fired but never put it on paper and dropped the project. Getting interested in starting that project up again just to say that gun drew deer blood. It did take a few dove in its history.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Hawken kit many years ago. Worked all The different versions over the years, usually after building them. Went with a 209 primed system up until 2 years ago until I had a misfire on a doe on a very wet, rainy day.

I bought a nitrofire that year and haven’t looked back. 100 grain load has more then enough oooooomph to easily kill anything. Wife got her first nice buck with it last year.

Regards,

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted many years with a TC Hawken .50 cal. shooting Hornady patched round balls with Goex FFg powder and RWS caps......took a few deer and one sow hog with it.

Although the brass looked good on the rifle it was too shiny for hunting to suit me so I removed all of it and sandblasted it to make it matte / flat.

tch.jpg

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t even shot my first deer with a center fire rifle yet, so that’s on the to-do list first. I figure once I do that I can allow myself to get a muzzleloader. I really like the two extremes that can be found, I figure my first will be modern, I’ve had my eye on that CVA Paramount pro for a while, seems like an awesome firearm. But once I drop a deer with that, I want to go old school and build my own flintlock Kentucky rifle to go stomp through the forest with while wearing a coonskin cap.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t even shot my first deer with a center fire rifle yet, so that’s on the to-do list first. I figure once I do that I can allow myself to get a muzzleloader. I really like the two extremes that can be found, I figure my first will be modern, I’ve had my eye on that CVA Paramount pro for a while, seems like an awesome firearm. But once I drop a deer with that, I want to go old school and build my own flintlock Kentucky rifle to go stomp through the forest with while wearing a coonskin cap.
A Paramount Pro is a pretty high tech muzzleloader, and in my opinion, it’s almost like shooting a centerfire except for the loading. They’re really nice rifles too, and I’d say step out on that limb and get you one to increase your hunting opportunities. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom