Muzzleloader Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this has been a topic in the past, but if it has, I don’t remember it. I’m sure someone will point out and link the discussion if it’s already been hashed out.
For all the folks who are going to be in the woods with a muzzleloader this year, what will be your weapon of choice? Traditional or modern?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern, I need to get the ol CVA bobcat out and get it ready for next year. It’s a cap and ball with lightweight synthetic stock. I don’t think it’s ever been fired.
I have 2 of those and 295gr powerbelt is awesome in them with loose pyrodex.

That stock on those with your cheek on it will punch you in the cheek like a closed fist in a fight.
:)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of have a muzzleloader obsession and acquired two new (to me) ones this year that I want to draw blood with, but from what I’m seeing on camera and the way my stands are set up, I’ll save the $300 and keep hunting with my crossbow in Oklahoma.
I picked up a rare TC Hawken 50 cal with a factory laminate stock, and there are supposedly only 8 in existence. I also found a deal on a TC Omega, and it may become my favorite muzzleloader ever even though I’ve alway been a Knight guy.

In the Hawken, I’ve been shooting 60 grain (loose) T7, a 350 grain cast bullet in a Harvester black crush rib sabot, and use a 209 primer for ignition.
In the Omega, I’m shooting 65 grain (by weight) of BH209, a .458 250 grain SST in a orange Harvester crush rib sabot, and use a CCI 250 primer for ignition.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom