My CM9 review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called SSP yesterday on the north side and asked if they had a kahr CM9 in stock. They did not have one and asked if I wanted to order it. Gave them the go ahead at around 3 and got the call around 12 today and went to pick it up. Headed straight to big boys range right after work to test it out. Disassembled it for a quick inspection and a little Mobil 1 for lube and proceeded to put rounds down range. Ran about 150 of FMJ and 50 rounds of various HP through it. It was flawless. It is very comfortable to shoot, easy to control, comfortable in the hand and was surprisingly accurate. I know 200 rounds is not much, but so far I'm very pleased. It hides in the pocket perfect and is exactly what I have been searching for in a pocket gun. I'm a 100% Glock guy and this is the first non Glock I might actually keep for more than a month!

I give SSP pawn another A+ transaction and give the CM9 a sold A.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a used one from Sooner Guns & Gold last Saturday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Got a couple extra mags with it, so I've got the 6rd, 2-7rd, and a 9rd mag for it. I just hope mine runs as smoothly as yours did.

Thanks for the review!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are nice little guns. I personally prefer the slightly larger CW-9, finding it to be easier to shoot well, for a longer period of time, but I understand your desire to have the more pocket-sized CM-9. Keeping it well-lubed and keeping a tight hold on the gun seem to be the keys to making the littlest Kahr 9mm work. Congratulations on your newest acquistion!

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a used one from Sooner Guns & Gold last Saturday. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Got a couple extra mags with it, so I've got the 6rd, 2-7rd, and a 9rd mag for it. I just hope mine runs as smoothly as yours did.

Thanks for the review!

I have read the bigger mags have issues because of the pressure applied causing a misdeed. I plan on staying with 6 rounders.

I actually liked the trigger! I have always hated long pull triggers, but this ones seems light, smooth and has a consistent break.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are nice little guns. I personally prefer the slightly larger CW-9, finding it to be easier to shoot well, for a longer period of time, but I understand your desire to have the more pocket-sized CM-9. Keeping it well-lubed and keeping a tight hold on the gun seem to be the keys to making the littlest Kahr 9mm work. Congratulations on your newest acquistion!

I did not have any trouble with holding it. Shot a couple of mags one handed with a light grip and had no issues.

Wish I still had my CW9, it was a good pistol. I need to find another one for a house gun.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read the bigger mags have issues because of the pressure applied causing a misfeed. I plan on staying with 6 rounders.
That is the trouble with short slides and high slide velocities--the spring rates (both recoil and magazine) must be very closely matched if the pistol is to function correctly. I, too, would stick with the factory 6 rd magazines for reliability. I would also change springs (recoil and magazine both) at the first sign of a malfunction once the break-in period is over (can't remember now if Kahr specifies 200 or 250 rds for a minimum break-in period).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have read the bigger mags have issues because of the pressure applied causing a misdeed. I plan on staying with 6 rounders.

I actually liked the trigger! I have always hated long pull triggers, but this ones seems light, smooth and has a consistent break.

I'll have to pay attention to which mags work and which don't, if any.

Yes, the trigger is light and long. Much better than the Kel-Tec I had before. The reset is long too, but I usually practice complete release with my Glock anyways.

The Kahr has an infinitely better fit and finish, beyond the trigger.

That is the trouble with short slides and high slide velocities--the spring rates (both recoil and magazine) must be very closely matched if the pistol is to function correctly. I, too, would stick with the factory 6 rd magazines for reliability. I would also change springs (recoil and magazine both) at the first sign of a malfunction once the break-in period is over (can't remember now if Kahr specifies 200 or 250 rds for a minimum break-in period).

I ran into this with a 4" Kimber. Thanks for the reminder!

Latest posts

Top Bottom