My First AR Build... :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a few months researching, reading posts on AR15.com, shopping for prices, etc., etc...

All my parts arrived over the week (except for my optics) and I spent yesterday assembling it.
(at the bottom, a few pieces of advice for first-time builders)

Here are the specs:
- Spikes Lower Receiver ($90)
- Rock River Lower Parts Kit with National Match Two-Stage Trigger ($135)... in retrospect, might have just gone with a CMMG single stage (tried one yesterday and thought it was great).
- Wide Ergo Grip (part of the above)
- Aero Precision Upper Chrome-Moly, with M4 Feed ramps, dust cover, forward assist
- Nickel Boron BCG
- Aero Precision 12" Quad Rail Handguard
---------- ($380 for complete upper including BCG and Handguard)
- Magpul ACS Stock with Buffer ($95)

So, for the complete build, $700 (with shipping or tax, another $40 or so). I'm guessing that if purchased pre-built, I would have paid $1000.

I've also attached back-up 45 degree iron sights, a 1600 lumen flashlight, laser, and grip-pod; for now, I have a 3-9x scope as I'm waiting for my magnifier with flip-to-side mount (will be paired with a reflex sight I have around). I also have a CMMG 22LR conversion on its way ($137).

Frankly, I would have preferred a shorter rail but the deal was so good.

CAM00039.jpg

The two issues I encountered while assembling (even using youtube videos as guides). Hopefully, they will help other first-time builders here...
1) The front takedown detent pin is hell to put it. There is a tool you can buy for about $10, but I used the buffer retainer pin after a few failed attempts to do it without.
What I did was insert the spring and detent, then ran the buffer retainer pin through the nearer takedown pin hole, with the tip of the pin over the takedown detent (now slightly under pressure). I then passed the actual takedown pin over to the retainer pin and let the detent slide from the retainer pin to the groove in the takedown pin. Worked great.
2) I didn't see on the video that the buffer tube has to be screwed in far enough that its edge rests over the lower part of the buffer retainer pin. As a result, the buffer wouldn't stay in. Duh... so I loosened the castle nut, gave the buffer tube a few more turns in, and that did the trick. Its edge held the retainer pin in place, with its tip sitting up to stop the buffer.
3) Don't forget to pick up a tube of gun grease.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, build but I am seriously wowed at the deal you got on that upper, man. I mean... rifle-length quad-rail, NiB BCG, barrel, charging handle upper and flash hider, all for $380? Wow. Very nice find.

Also you said your ACS stock and buffer was $95? So does that include the tube and all? I mean, I'm looking at outfitting 6 more new rifles, and I've not found the ACS at a lower price than you listed, but that doesn't include the buffer, buffer tube, spring, castle nut and locking ring. That kit usually runs $50-60 itself. If you've found a place to get all of that with an ACS stock for under $100, I wanna know where! ;)

Good job, though. Nice rifle, excellent deals and you seem quite happy with it. Congrats, man!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) I use an allen wrench to hold the pin in, nice flat surface it's easy to then just slide the take down pin in and drive the allen wrench out of the hole.

2) At least you didn't "reddog1" the buffer tube and buffer retaining pin.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Here are the links people have asked about.

First, the Magpul ACS Kit (stock, buffer tube, etc.), you can find it on:
http://dsgarms.com/Search.aspx?Keyword=acs

However, the price is now $119... which is still not bad, but they raised the price right after I bought mine (maybe a special deal or an error?)

As for the complete upper, I got it from an Armslist ad...
http://www.armslist.com/posts/23221...f-ar15-1-7-or-1-9-twist-option-ar-15--350-380

Note, though, that I got a few upgrades thrown in for free -- the first upper that was sent to me had a slight misalignment between the receiver rail height and the handguard rail height. So, I returned it and the seller (Cole Blackmon -Tactical Outfitters) sent me the upgraded upper at no extra charge. Nevertheless, $380 for the original setup is still great.

Here are a few more components I have being shipped to me:
- extended charging handle latch ($7, Amazon)
- enhanced aluminum trigger guard ($7, Amazon)
- "Magpul" AFG grip (getting the PTS knock-off for $14 on ebay)
- Sightmark 7x magnifier with flip to side mount ($110, Amazon)
- Eotech 551 clone ($40 from ebay)... couldn't resist, but I know it is just a standard red dot in a knock-off case.
- sling mount end plate for buffer tube ($5, Amazon)

Also, I'm looking for a piece of advice...

I actually would have preferred a shorter handguard and so have been looking for one between 9-10 inches. Since the rail on the first one I was sent was about 1mm lower than the height of the rail on the receiver, I don't want to get stuck with one like that again. I read on AR-15.com that some of the cheaper brands (UTG for example) can have this problem. So, I might go for a YHM Diamond Specter-length ($100 at cheaperthandirt) -- unless someone can suggest something cheaper that from their experience is flush in height with the receiver rail. To illustrate the problem I had with the first upper sent to me, see the picture below.

Rail two.jpg