My First AR Build... :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi guys, my order from exhilemachine came in today! Every thing looks great and I'll install my new rail tomorrow or the day after. Given their prices (and super fast shipping), I think they will become one of my go-to retailers... Gotta start saving now for their Predator shoulder-mounted laser :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UG. I just discovered that barrel nuts are proprietary. I tried to swap the current rail out with the YHM, but the threads are slightly different.

I called the guy who made my upper (Cole Blackmon) about it and he confirmed that most of the time you have to use the barrel nut specific to the rail. BTW, if anyone is interested in buying from him, he mentioned to me that the barrels in the rifles he uses are made by Sig.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOME freefloat handguards use proprietary barrel nuts. YHM is one of them. I also have a Nordic tube that does. YHM also uses a special jam nut you need to either improvise or use their tool with (I bought one).

My Troy Alphas and Samson rail all used the factory nut. Just something else to look into (and probably spend more money on) when purchasing a rail. :/

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YHM barrel nut tool? My DPMS armorers wrench works just fine on on the YHM barrel nut. The free float tube lock ring takes a special tool I have the upper mounted in an upper receiver action block in the vice and just use a brass punch to cinch it down. over 10k rounds through one of my rifles that ring hasn't moved yet.