My first CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on what I'd like to carry as soon as my class is over. I have a friend who carries a G27 and another that carries a G30. Very nice handguns to shoot at the range and great stopping power, but I'm not sure if they would be very comfortable or bulky for an IWB carry.

I've been looking at a Kel-Tec PF-9, it's slim and small enough to not print or be very cumbersome, but sacrifices raw firepower. Anyone have some insight on this choice?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I pack a G19 nearly everyday. With the right holster and a gun belt to support it, you can carry a Compact or Full size Glock relatively easily.

Your biggest issue with carrying anything larger than a pocket sized gun is going to be cover garment. If you wear a size up loose Tshirt no big deal. If you want to wear something like a muscle shirt, good luck hiding anything.

The rules change if you're wearing dress clothes.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my G30 every day in a Comp-tac MTAC holster. I carry just behind my hip, and never feel any discomfort. Just get yourself a quality holster and a solid gunbelt (belts from Beltman are good) and carrying all day is a breeze.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good holster and good belt are the key!!

I carried a G27 everyday for over 2 1/2 years before experimenting with others. Great carry gun -

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a G26 in a Milt Sparks VMII, on a Looper's belt. Everyday. I have no comfort/concealment issues at all. I just buy L or XL shirts from now. Wore my rig in cargo shorts with a L tshirt on from OK to FL. No problems with comfort or concealment.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have worn several guns. i do not think this is something you can use analytical thinking to determine which gun to carry. You have to wear the gun. what works great for one may not work for another due to many factors, size of person, wieght, work clothes, the work you do, travel (seat belts over guns are uncomfortable), and so on. Can you wear the gun all day at work without taking off or will you be required to remove it frequently.

can you choose the correct gun for you the first time out? maybe.

buy the gun and if it is not working try another one. mark up the money you may loose to experience.

for me, a s&W model 642 revolver works good. either in a owb holster or a pocket holster.

just remember, if you are not carrying it, it can't protect you.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 33 (.357 sig version of the G27) in a MTAC on a leather 5.11 dress-belt at the 3:30-4:00 position daily. Very comfortable. I sold my K&D OWB holster to buy the MTAC and couldn't be happier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom