My latest Prepper obsession--Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I was about 25, I've been reloading. I conned my dad out of the equipment that he wasn't using anymore and set up a little reloading station. I reloaded some 308, a little 40 sw, about 250 44 mag, and a few other things here and there. Well, I got to the point that it was just easier to buy, so I neglected my reloading equipment for several years. As a result, it got all gummed up and yes, even rusty.

Well, after Sandy Hook, ammo availability went to ****, as we all know. I had started working on expanding my supply already, and thankfully saw the writing on the wall and went to my local guy the day after and ordered 2k worth of reloading components. Primarily powder, primers, and some bullets. In the past few months, I have rediscovered the true joy of reloading and have fell back in love with the pastime.... Not only as rewarding, financially, but as a stress reliever, too. Add to that the benefits of building my arsenal, and I'm super happy. Also, a side benefit is that I've meda some really great networking contacts for bartering and trading supplies and have people contacting me regularly to see if I want to trade.

I did get my presses, both an RCBS, and a Dillon, refurbished and are betted than new. I've got some new toys like power trimmers and dies for anything ill ever want to reload. It's been a slow go, but I probably have enough pistol brass to last me two lifetimes!... That being said, save your 40 sw brass for me!! I've got a fixation of loading it, right now.

No, I will not load for anyone else, but I'd be real happy to work with someone to get them to the point they are comfortable doing it themselves. If you have never experienced reloading, seriously consider the many benefits of it. If nothing else, it extends the possibilities of your ammo supply to an almost infinite supply with the stocking of powder and primers. Bullets can be made and brass can be found and reused over and over.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got the ol' JBT reloading for you?

Oh yea! He brought a shitload of reloading stuff when he moved in. We bought a Dillon 550 with our Bush stimulus money :naughty: ... You should see our spare bedroom ... :lookaroun

and the garage ... :lookaroun

and the corner over there by "his" chair in the living room ... :lookaroun

and "that" half of the dining room table ... that doesn't have the load of unfolded clothes on it ... :lookaroun

:rollingla

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yea! He brought a shitload of reloading stuff when he moved in. We bought a Dillon 550 with our Bush stimulus money :naughty: ... You should see our spare bedroom ... :lookaroun

and the garage ... :lookaroun

and the corner over there by "his" chair in the living room ... :lookaroun

and "that" half of the dining room table ... that doesn't have the load of unfolded clothes on it ... :lookaroun

:rollingla

AWESOME!! I stopped by the range after work today and picked up about 400 rds of Winchester supreme nickel 223 brass. They are too lazy to pick it up and I am more than happy to help them out!!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. I used to reload like crazy 30 years ago. I guess I am becoming an old fart, or, er, uh, dirty old man, oh no, I mean seasoned baby boomer. Now I have gotten back into it. Man it is so expensive nowadays, but still cheaper than factory ammo.

But seriously, that is an excellent hobby and it really pays off. Keep it up, encourage and teach others how to reload. Learn to cast your own bullets. And for dang sure, stock up every change you get on primers, bullets, brass, powder, etc.

And every time you buy a gun, buy some dies right away for it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, Gene ... Back when we bought our Dillon folks made fun of us because ammo was still pretty cheap. IIRC we could get a CASE of Blazer Brass 9mm for under $100 ... But with 2 people shooting every night and shooting matches every weekend it was the only way we could keep ourselves out of the poor house. :D

Now it's still the only way we can keep ourselves out of the poor house and still have a little fun every once in a while.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A wise man (and woman) puts up stores for tough times. Good times, and tough times, come and go, be prepared.

Latest posts

Top Bottom