My latest project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this M1A at the Wanenmacher show last weekend; it's a SAI production, circa 1995. In its original configuration, it had a commercial stock, and according to my friend that sold it to me, the previous owner bought the rifle new - and never fired it. It was still in the original box with all the accessories; heck, it was still in the plastic wrap with a USGI plastic rear sight protector on it! The parts were all USGI; with some swapping around, I was able to give the rifle all marked parts from Springfield Armory (the original Army arsenal), and I put a USGI M14 stock on it. The cloth tag on the butt stock indicates it probably came from a USMC formation. I also gave the rifle a USGI slotted hand guard, a dummy selector switch with button, and Bassett scope mount with Weaver K4-1 and rings, to approximate an early-issue Vietnam sniper rig. Now I just need to get out to the range.

ETA: I can still use the iron sights with the standard Bassett mount and medium-rise Weaver rings, but just barely. The scope's bell obscures the top of the FS ear, but the tip of the post is still visible.

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1As_DSC_0148w_zps36036c83.jpg

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1As_DSC_0153w_zpscdf63a9e.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom