1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

My M1 Garand from CMP finally arrived

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by RonBurgundy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. leemozoid

leemozoid Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My HRA was a 99% 5.62 HRA. Except for an SA oprod and bolt it would have been a collector grade. it's one sweet shooter. It's a cosmolene nightmare though. I should have let it do more sweating in the sun this past summer.

2. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Marksman

Dang now that they have Springfields again I might have to order another one.

3. 1mathom1

1mathom1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Finally got the chance to clean it up and really look it over. Fire control group is HRA but everything else is SA. Only had time to put 8 rounds through it. Soft, easy shooter. No adjustment to the sights and hitting a fence post at 77 yards was a piece of cake. Just need to lay a tarp out for the empties to land on. This is going to be fun.

4. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter

I just received one on Friday that is all HRA, but has a SA FCG! Mine also came with a stock that appears to have once been on a 7.62 Navy M1 from the Crane Naval Depot.

5. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Were you the one who recently posted pics on the CMP forum of a stock with a number written in the barrel channel?

6. 1mathom1

1mathom1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Funny. I am still learning about these things but it appears my stock has nothing different about it. Basic SA.

7. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter

Any cartouches? I received 2 on Friday and both had interesting stocks. The second was a birch Letterkenny (LEAD), but the rest of the rifle was NOT a LEAD rebuild.

8. Perplexed

Perplexed Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    How do you know it's not a LEAD rebuild? The early ones often were not marked on the receiver leg, as the SOP calling for that didn't go into effect till the early 1960s. I had one for a while.

9. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter

Good question. I was under the assumption that ALL LEADS were marked on the receiver legs. How would I tell? The barrel is dated 3-52. I do like the lead dipped heels on this 1.0 mil. receiver though!

Edit: I did some more research and it looks like it is a LEAD rebuild. It has the correct parkerizing that is supposedly correct for a LEAD. The barrel is great with a muzzle reading of 0 and a throat reading of 2.

10. AKguy1985

AKguy1985 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You guys got me wanting another garand.