Need a Little help picking a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if you all could help me out? I am looking to get a gun that is fun to fire, but something that won't break the bank everytime I want to shoot it. I'm not very knowledgeable in pistols so any feedback is appreciated. I have found two guns that I like to compare and see what you all think. Lmk if you all have any other ideas.

First gun is the 1911. Preferably .45 What are some good brands? Taurus? SA? Colt? And how expensive is it to shoot?

Second gun is a H&K USP. Preferably 9mm. Or 45? What do you all think about this?

Third gun is a rifle Winchester 94 in 30-30 or should i get it in a 45 or 9mm in case I was deciding to go with a handgun later in the future so I could use the same ammo for each gun which would be cheaper?

Thanks, all comments welcome

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
if you're just wanting something fun and inexpensive to shoot then get a .22 otherwise, look at the 9mm's they can be fun to shoot, somewhat inexpensive, and can double as a home defense gun. 30-30 ammo is pretty high at the moment so i would look around a little bit if you want to save money.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So from what you've said it looks like...you want inexpensive, but something useable for defense, is that correct? I think the guys that recommended 9mm are on the mark, especially if you are new(ish) to shooting. It serves the role of plinking and self-defense just fine, is relatively cheap, and lacks excessive recoil, which is a plus for learning.

Guns: Run over to H&H on Meridian and I-40, tell them about your situation, and try every rental gun you have time and money to try. Buy the one that feels the best in your hand. If that one isn't a brand you recognize for quality, search or ask around here before you buy to be sure it's not a total lemon, but most of what H&H will rent is probably quality.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So from what you've said it looks like...you want inexpensive, but something useable for defense, is that correct? I think the guys that recommended 9mm are on the mark, especially if you are new(ish) to shooting. It serves the role of plinking and self-defense just fine, is relatively cheap, and lacks excessive recoil, which is a plus for learning.

GunsL Run over to H&H on Meridian and I-40, tell them about your situation, and try every rental gun you have time and money to try. Buy the one that feels the best in your hand. If that one isn't a brand you recognize for quality, search or ask around here before you buy to be sure it's not a total lemon, but most of what H&H will rent is probably quality.

Thanks this helps a lot! I have been thinking about renting myself. What are some good 9 mm guns? I'm not really into a beretta or a revolver of any kind.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are newb to pistols, avoid the 1911 like the plague! :yikes2:

I'm sure to get flamed for saying this, but IMHO, the 1911 is a weapon for more "knowledgeable" pistoleros. Can you learn the ins and outs of a cocked and locked? Of course. I just don't consider it a proper weapon for a "first timer" such as yourself. :disappoin

If you are dead set on an auto, that's easy to use and won't break the bank, get one of the popular plastic wondernines - Glock, M&P, XD. Hell, even the Taurus 24/7 is a decent pistol.

Besides...you won't find a PROPERLY TUNED AND EQUIPPED 1911 for less than 600-700 bucks anywhere. You can get into a Mil-Spec for a little less than that, but if you want one with all the bells and whistles, your gonna spend close to a grand for one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom