Need a Little help picking a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks this helps a lot! I have been thinking about renting myself. What are some good 9 mm guns? I'm not really into a beretta or a revolver of any kind.

Anything Glock Em Down mentioned, or the HK you mentioned, or many 1911s in 9mm....or...Taurus, S&W, on and on. Look for good used deals in the classifieds here too. You should be able to pick up a good used 9 somewhere for less than $450 I would think.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are newb to pistols, avoid the 1911 like the plague! :yikes2:

I'm sure to get flamed for saying this, but IMHO, the 1911 is a weapon for more "knowledgeable" pistoleros. Can you learn the ins and outs of a cocked and locked? Of course. I just don't consider it a proper weapon for a "first timer" such as yourself. :disappoin

If you are dead set on an auto, that's easy to use and won't break the bank, get one of the popular plastic wondernines - Glock, M&P, XD. Hell, even the Taurus 24/7 is a decent pistol.

Besides...you won't find a PROPERLY TUNED AND EQUIPPED 1911 for less than 600-700 bucks anywhere. You can get into a Mil-Spec for a little less than that, but if you want one with all the bells and whistles, your gonna spend close to a grand for one.

Thanks, I have thought about that also, I see a bunch of glocks on here. What's the going price for one in 9mm??

Also, if you want a levergun, you could look at a .357 or .44 magnum. Ammo is more than 9mm, but less than actual rifle rounds.

And welcome to OSA.
Hmm, never thought about that. Are they gonna be a little more expensive in purchase price of the gun in .357 or .44 and cheaper on bullets then the 30-30? Thank you, I'm on okdhm forum and that's where I got this site from.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never been anything but pleased with the Springfield XD and I have seen several change hands in the classifieds lately. 9mm is about as cheap as it gets, if you don't want to shoot 22.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New to handguns, try a Glock. Very simple, very dependable, very few parts to break. Some people love them, a few hate them, but if you buy one and don't like it, you can usually sell it and get your money back out of it. This is a good guy to get a used one from at good prices. If you buy one of these and don't like them, let me know, and I will take it off of your hands.

The first two are 40 S&W caliber, which is between the 45 and a 9mm, both in recoil and ammo price. The last one is a 9mm. You can look around and this is about the best price you will see. Find a FFL locally, we have several on the board that will do the transfer, and have it shipped to them, and pick it up and do the 4473 there.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/G22_3rd_gen_.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like 1911's but, don't want to spend the bucks then you should get a tokarev tt-33 in 7.62x25, It is almost identical to the browning 1911 (actually when the soviets were looking a new service pistol to replace the nagant revolver they just copied the 1911) you can get one for around $200 and a thousand rnds of ammo for about $100. They are very loud and powerful and fun to shoot and almost indestructable.

Attachments

• gun 002.jpg
    gun 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 147
  • tt33 006.JPG
    tt33 006.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 112

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A possibility to consider is to buy a pistol that can take a .22 conversion kit.
Any Glock except the Glock 36 and an Advantage Arms kit.
Most 1911's, kits from Colt, Kimber, Advantage Arms or Marvel.
CZ75's, with the CZ Kadet kit.
SIG 220/226/229 with SIG conversion kit.
Ciener .22 conversions..... not recommended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom