Need a Little help picking a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All 3 are excellent choices. I LOVE my Winchester Model 94 AE, but it's not necessarily as versitile as the handguns you mention. I mean, I guess you could use it for self defense, but it's definitely a hunting/plinking gun at heart (but it does those very very well)

Between a 1911 and an HK, I'd go with HK as a first timer. They're practically as simple as Glocks and nicer weapons IMHO (though, they damn sure better be for the money of course). I personally own an HK45 rather than a USP, but they're pretty fundamentally similar. Cocked and locked is something you have to master, but the trigger safety only on a Glock is a strange creature in its own right.

1911's are classic, but as Glock 'em Down said they can be just a tad more complex than the modern plastic space guns. They're a hair more challenging to maintain and you can really get bogged down if you start trying to modify or work on it a lot (though that could be said of anything to an extent). That said, a $1000 1911 will be a very nice gun that will be extremely accurate and have an out-friggin'-standing trigger compared to the competition. I personally own a Kimber TLE II and would recommend it, but there are a lot of good choices out there in the same price range.

The 30-30 is a lot less expensive and a lot different from the other options, so it may be a matter of what kind of shooting you want to do and how much you want to spend right now. Another option would be a less expensive polymer .45 like an XD, M&P, or Glock that you supplement with a 1911 down the road or get along with the 94 for roughly the same price as an HK or semi-custom 1911.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the ammo prices before you decide on what caliber to get. if You're concerned about breaking the bank, there are plenty of places to look at prices on different ammo. Sportsman's guide, cheaper than dirt, bass pro shop, age and eight, outdoor America .If you want something bigger than a 22, fun to shoot, and that you can use for defensive purposes, and is cheap, then 9 mm is your best choice. Second choice would be a 40 caliber. 45s are not cheap to shoot any way you look at it.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Gillman. Summit has the best deals on used glocks. You can't go wrong and if you don't like it you could sell it and make all your money back including shipping. 9mm is cheap, fun, and can serve for defense.

I would really recommend a 22 though. CHEAP and fun. Ruger makes probably THE standard .22 pistols. $250 will get you a good used Ruger.

If .22 doesn't excite you then consider getting into a 1911 in 45acp. Classic design, lots of options and a good caliber to reload which would make it cheap to shoot. For about $1000 you could get setup with a gun, a reloading setup, and enough components for a couple thousand rounds of ammo. Shoot those up and you're on your way to breaking even on the cost of the reloading equipment. Shoot a little more and you're shooting for cheap, having fun reloading and improving your skills.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it's Glock. I also look at the ammo side of it because I reload. I stick with the military/police calibers because you can get brass everywhere.

.22 LR are fun for plinking and practice.

For pistols, I mainly shoot 9mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP.
For rifles, I shoot .223 and .308.

I recommend Glocks because they are reliable. ANYONE can strip them down to nothing and fix them. Parts can be found in many places. They come in many different shapes, sizes and calibers. And there are lots of them for decent prices. Accessories are plentiful too.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you want a levergun, you could look at a .357 or .44 magnum. Ammo is more than 9mm, but less than actual rifle rounds.

And welcome to OSA.

Ya, I agree with this post here. A p'oint and shoot' revolver will do the job. A357 magnum will work just fine. It will also shoot the less expensive .38 rounds for practice out on the range or your unused watermelons.

~hope that wasn't overboard. :hithead:

rrd101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Glock 17/19 or springfield XD in 9mm would be a good pick
maybe with a carbine in 9mm say a marlin camp 9 or berreta cx strom
I shoot a XD and camp 9 myself lots of fun

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just buy you a Glock 17 or 19. Cheap to shoot. Simple to operate. Easy to clean. Will STILL shoot even if you don't clean it. Accurate, and light. A fairly decent trigger making it easy to shoot well. AND if you decide to move on to something else, it's easy to get your money back on a Glock. In case you're wandering...Although I've owned a few Glocks, the 22, the 35, and the 27, I now carry a Kimber 1911. I wouldn't recommend a 1911 because they're a little more complicated to operate, and a LOT more expensive to get into. Oh, did I mention a Glock is relatively cheap too?

Latest posts

Top Bottom