Need elk gun recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and brother are tossing around the idea of a family elk trip this fall, and as I've already been considering some upgrades to my current hunting rig (or an outright replacement) I think this makes for a great excuse.

My current rifle for this is a bone-stock Winchester 70 in .30-06. I'm taller than average (6' 2"), and have thought about a replacement stock to help get a more appropriate LOP. I'd also like a new scope, as mine is 15 years old or so, and some new glass would be nice as well. Maybe a new trigger?

Does anyone have any recommendations for stocks/scopes/triggers to look at, or perhaps (depending on price and features) an entirely new rifle? I'm hoping to keep things around $1,000-$1,200 or so, but certainly don't mind spending less. Is there anything else I should consider looking at?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you shoot your 30-06 well, take it..........................unless you're waiting on us to tell you that need another gun..........so you can tell your wife that "the guys on OSA say that I need another gun for the elk hunt.":)

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you need a 300 win mag. A 30-06 is not suitable on modern elk. It might have been ok for the elk from days past but c'mon. Have you seen boots or uniforms from WWII. People were tiny back then. I am pretty sure an elk in the 1940s was bout the size of a shetland pony.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am planning on sticking with .30-06, but might end up with something new to launch it out of ("the guys at OSA said I needed it!").

As far as distances go, probably 400 yards or less. Hopefully once I get my new or improved rig I'll find a place that will let me practice at ranges farther than that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my elk this year with the 06 at 455 yds. 165 grain Barnes bullet. I recovered the bullet in the off side, perfectly mushroomed, and it didn't loose a grain of weight. I've killed several deer with the same round at 400 yd + distances.

Carmichael(the champion of the .270) took dozens with a .270.

How many were killed with a lever gun in 30-30 back in the day? That's getting too light for anything further than 100 yds IMHO.

Placement, placement, placement.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you need a 300 win mag. A 30-06 is not suitable on modern elk. It might have been ok for the elk from days past but c'mon. Have you seen boots or uniforms from WWII. People were tiny back then. I am pretty sure an elk in the 1940s was bout the size of a shetland pony.

I have a friend who won't hunt deer with a 30-30. He insists on a 300 win mag. It's pretty amazing. I always tell him good thing he isn't Native American because an arrow shaped boulder wouldn't fly very well.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the 30-06 and will say the 30-30 is under rated for sure.
My cousin hunts Colorado with a bunch of guys and 2 of them use their 30-30's each year and get elk each year.
They told my cousin they limit the shots to 250 yards on the elk.

That got me rethinking my 30-30.
So i zeroed my old Redfield widefield 4X scope to 250 yards and started taking whitetail deer at further ranges.
Friend used my 30-30 and got a nice buck at 300 yards..I have taken a 217 yard shot to bag a nice buck.
All 1 shot kills.
But i usually grab my .308 or 30-06.
Sounds like Dennishoddy has a great performing bullet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom