Need elk gun recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've killed elk with .303 British, and 7x57. My wife killed hers with a 7x57.
30/06 is plenty, if ya hit them right. If you don't hit them right, it doesn't matter how big the bullet is.

.......well, this is where the neck shot thread comes into play.....:lookaroun

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
168 grain Barnes TTSX, b.c.- .470
56 grains of Alliant Reloader 17
Case length, 2.494
OAL, 3.295

Thanks.

I've killed elk with .303 British, and 7x57. My wife killed hers with a 7x57.
30/06 is plenty, if ya hit them right. If you don't hit them right, it doesn't matter how big the bullet is.

.......well, this is where the neck shot thread comes into play.....:lookaroun

Sounds like someone is channeling W.D.M Bell.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am a covert to 7mm Mag (shoots flatter) but have used 30-06 on elk and it works great. Spend some money on some decent "glass" and practice at minimum 300 yards. Practice, practice, practice. The more curves you can throw in (elevation, crosswind, etc.), the better off you'll be. It's very rare to have a shot closer than 300 (my zero). In 12 years, I've only had 1 inside 300 yards (265).

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Le Mas blended metal BTHP should work with the 'better' cal choices. Or another tip suitable for the game (all about those BC's)

Beyond that - custom load 260, 7mm, 300wm, OR 338 Lapua -- I mean why not

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the interesting guys who works at Second Hand Rose Pawn had just returned from an elk hunt the last time I was in there. He had an audience so he proceeded to tell us at length why the best elk rifle in existence is a Winchester 70 chambered in 8mm.

I have no experience with elk hunting but he was sure firm on his position.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perfect elk rifle:
1. Accuracy at the ranges you choose to take a shot, expecting a one shot kill.
2. .27 caliber or larger with at least 1000 ft.lbs. energy at the ranges you trained to shoot.
3. Light enough to carry.
4. Accurate.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect elk rifle:
1. Accuracy at the ranges you choose to take a shot, expecting a one shot kill.
2. .27 caliber or larger with at least 1000 ft.lbs. energy at the ranges you trained to shoot.
3. Light enough to carry.
4. Accurate.

This +1 although lots of elk have been taken with .243 win 6mm rem 6.5sweede and a host of others. I would recommend it myself but if it's what you have and shoot well take it. And enjoy the experience.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot your 30-06 well, take it..........................unless you're waiting on us to tell you that need another gun..........so you can tell your wife that "the guys on OSA say that I need another gun for the elk hunt.":)

That's my go to line every time I want a new toy that goes bang...

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About twenty years ago my cousins husband took his 30.06 to Alaska to hunt bears. He was loading big heavy bullets. He knew that a bigger gun may have been better but he knew his guide had a bigger gun. He had discussed it with the guide and the guide approved his gun and loads.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About twenty years ago my cousins husband took his 30.06 to Alaska to hunt bears. He was loading big heavy bullets. He knew that a bigger gun may have been better but he knew his guide had a bigger gun. He had discussed it with the guide and the guide approved his gun and loads.

There is a guy over on cast bullets forum that is loading some 225 grain subsonic 30-06 with trail boss. Claims they are the hammer of thor on anything they connect with. I guess they are moving slow enough that they transfer more energy instead of blowing thru an animal at close range. Makes sense to me. I wanna try it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom