Need elk gun recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have killed elk with a .308 and 180 gr silver tip. My gun off choice is a .300 win mag. Several of my guests on the annual elk hunt have killed their elk with a 30 - 06. One guest used a 30 - 30 with a 25-06 back up and a 30-06. The poor cow took multiple hits but went down. The key is bullet placement, the gun you are comfortable shooting and a little long range practice.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a guy over on cast bullets forum that is loading some 225 grain subsonic 30-06 with trail boss. Claims they are the hammer of thor on anything they connect with. I guess they are moving slow enough that they transfer more energy instead of blowing thru an animal at close range. Makes sense to me. I wanna try it.

One of the famous gun writers had that same opinion. A slow moving heavy bullet. Can't remember who it was. I keep wanting to say Elmer Keith.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would spend $200 on a jewel or timmeny trigger and the rest on ammo to practice with before the hunt.

100% agree with this. I would recommend a quality scope, if you are in the need / want mode. 3-9 or 4-12. Lots of quality ammo (180 grain is my preference) and practice, practice, practice.

Before our first Colo. elk hunt, this is what I did. Timney trigger in a 1903 Springfiled .30-06. Bushnell scope rebuilt by the U.S. Olympic Optics Tech (didn't realize how good a Bushnell could become). Weekly range trip, offhand only, 20 rds @100 yrds, 20 rnds @200 yrds, 20 rds @300 yrds. When you get to where you can keep ALL rds on a 8" target, you are ready to go. Offhand is not the 'preferred' shot, but if you feel confident in being able to make that shot, then a supported / more stable shot is a piece of cake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom