need help with a new dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My best hunting buddy Snickers passed away last fall and I've been holding out for summer to get a new dog. My wife is off in the summers, so she does all of the dirty work like house training. So of course now that school is out, the whole family is ready for a puppy. I want something smaller than a lab, but something I can still take dove hunting with me. I was looking at Viszla's and possibly a brittany. What do you guys think? Anybody have one of these dogs? Anybody know anybody with some puppies for sale? I checked the paper and didn't find any brittanies... Thanks for the help!

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother has a half brittany/ half pointer he got real cheap and she is a great pheasant/ quail hunter now. I don't know where any are for sale, but I sure wouldn't mind a brittany myself. I think that would be a good choice.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years, my family had four Vizslas. Only one of them turned out not to be gun-shy, even though we tried easing them into it (starting off with a cap gun at a distance, then a .22, etc.) They all came from bloodlines bred for hunting, too. But they were wonderful house dogs, given enough daily exercise ;)

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how much room ya got at the homestead?

We don't have a lot of room. That is the biggest problem. Our backyard is pretty small. It's basically a big U shape around the back of my house. So my lab used to run back and forth and did ok. But when we moved in here, my lab was already 4 years old. So she was pretty calm and didn't want to run alot. The new dog will be an indoor/outdoor dog. In when we're home, out when we are not. Unless it's super hot, then it will be in.

I found a brittany/lab mix that will be ready in a week that we make look at.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some may not agree with me, but I have a german shorthair and he is a great dog. I believe he is just as much of a people lover as both my labs. Now, he can get excited, but if properly trained from a pup, a GSP wouldn't be much diff from a labin my opinion. I'm trying to attach some pics of when he was a pup.

Attachments

• B&W Shorthair #2.jpg
    B&W Shorthair #2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 133
  • B&W Shorthair.jpg
    B&W Shorthair.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 146

Latest posts

Top Bottom