need help with a new dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a half black/chocolate lab for free and its 1 remaining brother is free as well. Parents have papers. I know ya said ya wanted something smaller but they are free and free is hard to pass up. Mom and dad are also up for adoption. Owners splitting up and get'n rid of them.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest German Shorthair Pointer. I can not speak from personal experience but my grandfather used to raise them and swore they were some of the best dogs you could ever have and made a damn good bird dog.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 GSP females. Great hunting dogs, and very loyal. They are super high energy though. I keep mine penned up and have to let them out to run at least once a week or they get stir crazy and start trying to dig out.
I wouldn't subject a Brittney or a Lab to Oklahoma heat. Just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me. My brothers Lab loses 8-10lbs over the summer in a big back yard with lots of shade and a kiddie pool to swim in. lots of people do it though, so I am clearly in the minority.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only had two breeds of hunting dogs. Beagles, and Brittany's.
Haven't had a beagle in several years as the rabbits have been pretty poor around here.
The Britts are a great breed. In the past they were known as poachers dogs, because they will hunt waterfowl, upland birds, or whatever one wants to train them on.
The biggest plus on them is that they are a social animal. They love to be with people, have a great temperment, and can be a house dog as well as a pen dog. Great around kids. We had our nephew at the house today, and they instantly buddied up and went walking around our place in the country.
I'm sure there are other good breeds, but these are my two, and can't tell about any of the others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
crazyfish,
What kinds of hunting (all possible) would you wish to do with your dog. And what specific type of hunting (specific game animal and style of hunting) would most of your hunting be?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
we have a brit that is one hell ova hunting dog. the cat and her lay together, she's never laid a tooth on anything but a game animal and is awesome with kids. i've had her on many quail and pheasant over the last 6 years. we were taking her out with us to jump ponds at the lease ans were surprised when she just jumped in and retrieved a few ducks on her own.

if a brit has any issues at all it may be they are TO friendly.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
crazyfish,
What kinds of hunting (all possible) would you wish to do with your dog. And what specific type of hunting (specific game animal and style of hunting) would most of your hunting be?

Mostly it's going to be for bird hunting. Dove, possibly some quail and pheasant and the occasional duck. I don't do a lot of hunting. I probably go dove hunting 2 or 3 times a year and duck hunting 5 or 6 times. Usually bird hunting for me is just about spending some time outdoors with my dog and enjoying nature.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you looking for a pointing dog for the pheasants and quail or would a flusher work? I run Guardrail/Elhew English Pointers but have never had them retrieve dove or ducks. I would think a Springer(flusher) or Brittany(Pointer) would be ideal with the Shorthair/Wirehair being a close second. The post about the high energy of the Shorthairs was an understatement, those suckers NEED to run.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking for more of a retrieving dog. We will probably on only go pheasant hunting once a year with a buddy of mine. We go in big groups and walk out the pheasant. So I just want a dog to go retrieve downed birds. Depending on what I get, I may work with it on pointing quail/pheasant if the breed will do it. But mostly it's going to be a retrieving dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom