need help with a new dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion for pheasant hunting, I will pick a good lab any day over a pointer. Unless there is snow holding birds, a rooster will just take off running and by the time you get up to the dog, that bird is long gone. My lab works 20 yards or so in front of me and sweeps back and forth, and flushes birds so you actually get a shot and not just chase one on foot. Then once they are down, I get a proud retrieve out of it and she gets a chicken liver or scratch behind the ears.

One of the best dogs I ever had was an epagneul breton, French Brittany. She was a born hunter and one of the best companions ever. She wasn't the cheapest dog that I have ever owned for sure, but worth every penny. The breeder lives around Ardmore and is still in the business as far as I know. His website is http://www.rollingredprairiekennel.com/ if you are interested. I promise you won't be disappointed.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the best dog i ever owned was a poodle. "yup a poodle". 7 pounds of fire breathing fury he was. I always felt safe when he was around. and a good hunter to boot. I just had one rule for my poodle"if he killed ya he had to eat ya".

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the best dogs I ever had was an epagneul breton, French Brittany. She was a born hunter and one of the best companions ever. She wasn't the cheapest dog that I have ever owned for sure, but worth every penny. The breeder lives around Ardmore and is still in the business as far as I know. His website is http://www.rollingredprairiekennel.com/ if you are interested. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I have hunted over dogs from that same kennel! Good dogs to be sure.

romeo212000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some may not agree with me, but I have a german shorthair and he is a great dog. I believe he is just as much of a people lover as both my labs. Now, he can get excited, but if properly trained from a pup, a GSP wouldn't be much diff from a labin my opinion. I'm trying to attach some pics of when he was a pup.

That is a nice looking pup you got there. I am good friends with the breeder he came from. The litter I have on the ground is out of that male yours is. He sure is producing some nice stuff. Planning on keeping one myself out of this litter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we have a brit that is one hell ova hunting dog. the cat and her lay together, she's never laid a tooth on anything but a game animal and is awesome with kids. i've had her on many quail and pheasant over the last 6 years. we were taking her out with us to jump ponds at the lease ans were surprised when she just jumped in and retrieved a few ducks on her own.

if a brit has any issues at all it may be they are TO friendly.

This! our britts are the most family friendly/ hunting dogs there are.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00922.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PC240250.jpg

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a nice looking pup you got there. I am good friends with the breeder he came from. The litter I have on the ground is out of that male yours is. He sure is producing some nice stuff. Planning on keeping one myself out of this litter.

Thanks, I have been very impressed with him. Although I should be kicked in the left..knee for not working with him as much as I should. I worry about working with him too much in this heat. I don't want to over heat him. I guess it'll be early mornings for us until fall.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chris, I was given my GSP from a family that got her from a lady that rescues strays when she was only 13 weeks old and she has turned out to be one the the best hunting dogs that I have ever hunted behind. I have hunted behind several GSP, Vizslas, Brittanys, Pointers, Setters, and even a Jack Russell. My suggestion would be stick with a female for size and for temperament. Her first year I took her out almost every weekend that I could form time she was 4 months old. Most of the time I worked her with other dogs that were trained and very experienced. I use a shock collar on her just to keep her out of danger. We ran into a porcupine the first year I had her and she almost go him or vice versa. Since then bobcats and skunks have been our most recent encounters and it is nice to call her back and if I have to give her a knick. I don't run my Sportdog 1800 any higher than a 2.

Attachments

• Anne.JPG
    Anne.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Top Bottom