Need some advice guys..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So im pretty new to the world of firearms. (have shot guns my whole life but motly rifles, never been real serious about it.) Im really interested into doing a few competitions but dont really know how to started.. whats the best route?

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing you should do is find out what discipline interests you the most. Go watch some competitions and meet the people in charge. They will ask you about the equipment you already own and tell you what is suitable to get started. Don't go and buy a bunch of equipment until you have several competitions under your belt. The first few are only good for figuring out how to practice. After people see that you are serious a mentor will appear. Look for a peer of a similar skill level to compete against. It will make it a lot more fun. Practice, practice and practice, but don't forget that these games are supposed to be fun too. After you get better take a kid shooting with you.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jump on OKC gun clubs website. They shoot everything from high power, silhoutte, action pistol, cowboy action, bullseye, 3 gun matches.

I too have always loved to shoot but you can only shoot at beet cans for so long until it becomes boring. Then I found action pistol and 3 gun. Now I have reasons to go out and practice and a great measuring stick to show me how good or bad I am and how I'm getting to be a much better shooter. I have also become more confident in my abilities to defend myself and my home should the need ever arise because I am that much more familiar with my weapons and my ability to use them.

What do you like to shoot now? Bolt action rifles, semi autos, rifles or shotguns? Do you like slower benchrest type precision shooting or fast paced run and gun type shooting?

We can point you in the right direction with a little more info.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking to shoot pistol only at the moment. I have a Glock 19.

That's easy then. Buy a 100 pack of ammo and show up at USSA on Saturday morning for the IDPA match. Your first match is free I believe, and I can say without a doubt that everyone is extremely nice. Sign in starts at 9am, if I recall (someone correct if I'm wrong).

If you have a holster, grand, bring it. If you have extra mags, bring them too, you can use up to three in IDPA. If you have a mag pouch, great. If not, use your pockets.

Like a previous poster mentioned, bring what you have, show up at the match and have fun. The local matches are really relaxed and very welcoming to new shooters.

Heck, even if you don't have a holster and you only have two mags, I'm sure the guys would find a way to let you shoot.

The first match I went to I was just a spectator. John Zane did his damnedest to get me and my two buddies to try out a course of fire, up to and including offering to lend us his gun!

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the help guys, so give the idpa a go? well i have saturday off so i hope they are doing it.. ill do completely terrrible but thats half the fun. I have a membership at ussa so that works out well.

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand it correctly, IDPA is cancelled since USSA is hosting the Wounded Warrior Match (hopefully someone from USSA will confirm that).

Check out the Wounded Warrior thread. It costs more than the typical match because the proceeds are going to charity. But, from what others have said about last year, it is a very friendly match and lends itself to people who do not normally compete.

Just introduce yourself to people and let them know this is your first competition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom