Need some AK knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't own an AK but for some reason I feel the need to acquire one. I know aprox. jack squat about them. I have seen a ton of threads on other forums and here for that matter debating which is better the AK or the AR. I guess it depends on the user,but I want to find out for my self.

What are the ones to buy?

What are the ones to avoid?

Do you have to be a rocket scientist to build your own?

What are some of the preferred places to buy from?

Anything else you would like to share is welcome.

THANKS !!

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a GTG AK out of the box with long term return on investment when you decide to sell it, get an Arsenal. They are the "Colt" of AK's. Their Russian Saiga conversions or Bulgarian conversions are both good to go. The Bulgarian AK's used to be an excellent deal at $600-700, but I'm not sure if they have any more Bulgarian AK's in stock anymore.

Century WASR 10's are notoriously bad in terms of fit and finish and assembly. They have monkeys assembling these things and you'll have things like excessive mag wobble, canted front sights, ect. Their Yugos, especially the older ones are actually better built, but even they suffer from canted sight issues. If you buy a century, besure to visibly inspect it. There's other importers/assemblers and they all vary in quality + or -. Some may consistently be better than century and some may be worse. Really, when it comes to parts AK guns made with US receivers and barrels, they all amount to being the same give or take. This is excluding the custom shop type builders.

The other option is to buy a SAIGA and do the conversion. Atlantic arms now sells Saiga Legions with the front end already converted for you. It has the bulgarian FSB, AK gas tube and hand guards. All you would have to do is install a bullet guide and buttstock / pistol grip conversion and you're gtg. Saiga's made with Legion receivers also have a high probability of having handguard cutouts on the barrel (for the saigas with standard sporter handguards) and pistol grip slot already cut out in the receiver.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best, cheapest deal on the market right now is the AMD65 from Centerfire systems for about $472 delivered to BA. Downside is it has a shorter sight radius, puts out a hell of a fireball, and will give your shooting neighbor a concussion.
If youd like to shoot some AK's before buying or an AMD in particular, just ask.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are good Romys, good Yugos and good Century built guns also, but it would be best to shoot them first.
I'd choose a Yugo last. Norincos are good.
I've built AR's, FAL's but wouldn't try an AK.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get started.

Peanut - I might take you up on that sometime. Do you ever make it up to USSA?

Latest posts

Top Bottom