Need some AK knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Early 7.62x39 Saigas didn't have dimples. Lots of KT-103s were built on dimpless russian receivers. No one complains about them.
Never seen one in person but pictures show the dimples on the original KT-103. Are the dimpless ones an aftermarket model for the U.S. that has been modified?

They also use the rails to hold the mag steady. The rails have a protruding nub/bump and that helps holds the mag steady if the magwell isn't cut too large.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seadog, I have several Romanian AK's that I built from the "G" kits when they were $99-125 per kit and one that was an underfolder kit. I used NoDakSpud receivers and even bent my own. All of them work great and I have no complaints. I just wish I had bought more of the AK kits back then. I also wish I had bought more of the FAL kits for $99 and the $125 Imbel gear logo receivers.

I saw on the internet that some guy has used JB weld on the WASR10 side plates to stabilized the mag wobble. I always said you could use JB weld for a lot of things, kinda like duct tape.

And yes, I like my Filipino Colt.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually picked up a wasr10 65 for about $350 couple yrs ago.
I didnt know anything about ak's ,but I am known for doing my homework.
Sure enough ..canted front sight ....to the right ..so it actually is more comfortable to hold.
Mag wobble ..$3 fix , or use the plastic ones...note if you use the fix the plastic ones might not work.
It wont win any beauty contests, sniper challenges....but it Will get on target, and feed Anything I feed to it.
So dont be afraid of the wasr's for a good price, just look them over well.
Just clean them a little , go buy a boatload (sorry about the boat crack, for all those lost) and go have a Blast shooting it.
Unless your going for the beauty/sniper challenge..then you just got some good info on this forum.
HMMM I think Ill go put a scope on mine ..and just see what It'll do...probably better that I can shoot, but theyre a Hoot.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have been looking into picking up an AK-type rifle, and have done a fair amount of reading over the last several weeks. Still have the jones for one, but the more I read, the more I appreciate the Vz58. It has none of the issues mentioned, and even the "angry beaver" Century Vz2008 rifles have a good rep. The Czech rifle doesn't have the legendary reputation, but most civilians seem to like theirs.

I still want to add an AK to the fold, though, but it appears that I'm really going to have to look any candidates over pretty well. Good thread.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seadog, I have several Romanian AK's that I built from the "G" kits when they were $99-125 per kit and one that was an underfolder kit. I used NoDakSpud receivers and even bent my own. All of them work great and I have no complaints. I just wish I had bought more of the AK kits back then. I also wish I had bought more of the FAL kits for $99 and the $125 Imbel gear logo receivers.

I saw on the internet that some guy has used JB weld on the WASR10 side plates to stabilized the mag wobble. I always said you could use JB weld for a lot of things, kinda like duct tape.

And yes, I like my Filipino Colt.

Me to. I still have a few of those cheep Rommy G kits. And no I'm not letting them go. LOL. I also have some demilled, milled yugos. Ive only brought one of those back to life. That ones an RPK. Then there is a Polish, if I remember right, 5.45 that I started and havent finished that I was converting to 5.56 with the help of a K-Var barrel n feed ramp. Then one these days a there is a sweet little Krinkov kit that I want to bring to life. Im an AKoholic.

I to wish that I had bought many more of those hundred dollar kits back in the day. Centerfire use to have such a wonderful selection. Apex has a desent selection. Ive been thinking about getting some of there demilled recievers n doing some rewelds.

Ive heard of the JB weld trick a while back. For those that want it, it seems to work good. As much as those recievers tweek/flex when being shot Ive wondered if after a while if it would pop out. JB weld has solved a few problems for me over the years too

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wasr 10 are the cheapest but have bad design and workmanship on the receiver for accepting double capacity ak mags. I recommend a Romanian SAR-1 if you can find it. Sar's were built for double capacity ak mags and have no mag wobble like in the wasr's. Also the mag wobble is reduced because the sar-1 has dimples on the receiver securing the mag. About 500 is the best I have seen lately for a used Sar-1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom