need sugestions on a 22lr pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonfishin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a .22lr pistol i think i have got it down to three wanted to know what yall think
1st S&W M&P22
2nd ISSC M-22
3rd Ruger sr22

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go for the Ruger,,,
Ruger is a top tier company who stands behind their products.

Bear in mind that while many report the gun to be quite accurate,,,
It's not really a dedicated target style pistol at all,,,
It's more of a trainer for combat style guns.

ISSC is not a top tier gun company,,,
That means I don't know anything about them.
I always worry about support from a 2nd tier company.

It might be a great little gun,,,
But I don't like speculating on quality,,,
I would stay with top tier manufacturers exclusively.

The S&W 22A is a nice pistol,,,
But it uses a plastic recoil buffer that wears out quickly,,,
People I know who own the gun say they need replacing every 2-3 thousand rounds.

They are very cheap to replace,,,
My friend said he called S&W about them,,,
He received 5 of them in the mail at no cost to him.

So,,,
Ruger,,,
S&W 22A,,,
Forget the ISSC.

Aarond

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you don't mind the learning curve of taking the bloody thing apart, I'd go for a Ruger Mark III.

I agree with this guy. I have one of these and love it. I have a Millet red dot and love it. I prefer my MK III over my 10/22

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

They are a difficult to take apart but its not impossible just watch the youtube video put out by Ruger and you will be fine.

shortyokc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought the sr22 for my wife and i take it to the range every time i go. its a fun .22 to shoot, very accurate, no issues so far. our other choice was the walther .22 but just could not get past the mag release it was too awkward.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange thing I have 22 lr in Browning Buckmark, Ruger MKII and MK III, Smith and Wesson 41 & 22A, Colt Tactical 22, but none of the guns you mentioned in your post. BTW the above poster is correct about the plastic parts in the S&W 22A. That is not the same as the S&W M&P22. I haven't had to replace any parts yet, but I thought it was cheap to put plastic parts in the first place.
I can't offer you much advice except to say I'd get the gun with the best trigger all other things being equal. My Colt tactical 22 is a good shooter, but has a mushy trigger. Of course all triggers are mushy compared to a S&W 41.

Last edited:

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am #3 on the buck mark side o the coin....i am not a big fan of the plasti parted faux tactical guns.... my first pistol was a walther p22, and its frame is currently cracked...i bought another p22 on here with a cracked slide that i intend to frankenstein a gun together outta, but ya, i would set my sights a little higher.... i like semi autos, but maybe a revolver would be a good choice? less parts to be replaced with plastic on those, lolz

Latest posts

Top Bottom