NEF Handi-Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stephen, the can is .338 cal and the primary host will eventually be a Surgeon 338LM. I'm not really wanting a tack driver in this just something to make quiet noise with fo now. Also something that would make a decent survival rifle in the event of a zombie apocalypse without breaking into the surgeon fund.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Handi Ultra in 223. Heavy barrel. Got it about 3-4 years ago. I spent countless hours trying to make it shoot under 1 moa. Nada. Even built a new forearm with a different attachment point on the barrel. Did a trigger job on it. Now breaks at about 1 3/4 lbs, very nice. Big problem with most break open single shots is they are very sensative about where you rest the forend on the bags, since the forend is attached to the barrel. Also they(at least mine) is very long throated. Cannot reach lands with a bullet seated in the case. Not good for accuracy. They are fun to shoot and don't cost too much. Generally speaking you are looking at 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. For some strange reason mine seemed to like the Winchester 45 grain JHP in the white box. Used to buy them, 40 rounds to the box for about $12. My how times do change so fast. My gransons love to shoot it.

Brian D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know where all the negativity is coming from about the NEF s?I have a 308 and a 243.Both are very accurate.I will say they are finicky on ammo.The 243 with 85 grn seirra game kings will shoot sub moa anytime.But it has had a trigger job done and breaks at 3.75 pnds,thanks to Fueggets gun shop in Ft. smith,AR!

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go over to Greybeards Forum.
There's a whole section on these little guns.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/

Those guys over there think they hang the moon.
Plus there's a help and Basics thread also.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,116451.0.html

I hung out there for quite a while. Lots of information about the Handi's there. Thats where I found the info for doing a trigger job. It is not for the non mechanical minded. Some very critical surfaces there. A tad too much and you will be buying a new trigger system. Knowing what I was doing I almost went too far. But it is fine, just a tad light, like 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. However a trigger job is not an answer to accuracy, in fact almost nothing. It is the way the barrel is attached to the fore end and the very long throated chamber that hurts the accuracy. I spent many many hours trying to make it shoot better. It got a bit better but not much. Very good if you could do 1 moa for 5 at 100 yds. Plus you can trade barrels with others. NEF would lead you to believe that they must be sent back to factory for a refit of a new barrel. I have bought shotgun barrels at pawnshops and they locked up tight as could be. Very easy to check to see if they lock up properly. I only have experience with a 223 Ultra. Still have it and don't plan on getting rid of it. Nice little rifles, just wish they would sell a blank so one could chamber it for a custom chamber and round. Like a 6ppc or a 6BR. Ejector is a problem though. However if one wanted to he could do away with the ejector and pic them by hand. They have info on that too. Some of those guys have barrels from 22 to 45-120. The action is very strong, but you have to get the SB-2 action and not the shotgun action. Very much different. HTH.

Donald

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an H&R break-open .308 that I cut the barrel to 16" and threaded for a can. I shoot 167 gr. cast bullets under 1050 fps and it is very quiet. I usually shoot steel at about 50 yds and it does fine. I've never checked it for accuracy on paper. It's great for critter control. I use the can on an AR10T,AR-15 in .300 Whisper,Rem.700 PLT .308,and a Contender in 300 Whisper.
Profreedomokie

10mmPhil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My NEF 30-06 Econo-blaster
ai245.photobucket.com_albums_gg77_10mmPhil_gunstuff_rifle_NEF3006wAACblackout.jpg

ai245.photobucket.com_albums_gg77_10mmPhil_gunstuff_rifle_NEF3006wAAC762SD.jpg

NEF 30-06 #SB2S06 22" heavy barrel
Barrel threaded by Mechaniacl Accuracy
Harris Bipod #S-BRM
Leapers rubber scope (cheap)
AAC 762SD w/Blackout mount 5/8x24

I have not shot this setup supressed yet, but hope to soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom