Neighbors and new fence build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I am new at this and have no problems and plan on paying for the whole fence myself but it is common to ask the neighbors that share the property line to pay for part of the fence that the would share? just wondering how that works. I know one of them pretty well but hate asking about stuff like that. so any input on this situation?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would personally offer... say, you are planning on putting a fence up and just wanted to tell them. You were planning on paying for it, as well, but the finished side would be facing your house. If they would like to split the cost, then you could discuss different finishing options, like alternating pickets or double-sided finished, or whatever.

Give 'em the option, but present it as a courtesy, not an expectation.

Several people here have posted about getting irritated when the neighbor came to them and basically demanded they pay for half of a fence they didn't want in the first place.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice above. Position the discussion as to whether they want input on the design and orientation. If so, they can kick in for the cost of the fence line between you. If they don't kick in, they're stuck seeing whatever you decide. It's a diplomatic way to approach it, but in my experience, it never yields much cash. Grumbles and complaints, yes. Fence funding, no.

But either way, you want to do what you can to prevent hard feelings.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never even suggest such a thing to my neighbor. I might tell them I'm putting up a fence, but that's all.

This is what I did. I even put the nice side facing their direction since I don't want people to be able to climb into my back yard.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it depends on why you're replacing the fence. If it's because you want something different, then no. If it's because it's falling apart and NEEDS to be replaced then yes, it's customary for both parties to pay for it. When my house was involved in the MWC wildfires about five years ago, my fence was burnt down and the two neighbors split the cost with me. If I remember correctly, I think my insurance company even subtracted my neighbor's portion of the fence from my claims proceeds.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been lucky on the two sides of fence that I replaced on our last house. Both neighbors paid their share.
On our new place, we paid to install a new fence on our own.

My parents place, neither neighbor would pay a dime. Just depends.....

MercFE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you go by state statute, I would have to look it up again, any fence line that is required to be maintained by city code, association bylaws, or any other requirement are a 50/50 split cost. If the fence is not required and is being assembled for beauty or privacy of your property, then it is fully your responsibility.

I've had issues with the neighbors behind me in the past. There dogs have destroyed sections of the fence. When we asked them about splitting the costs, they basically eluded to me packing sand. Being that it was THEIR dogs we were trying to secure, I looked up the statute at that time.

Luckily, it was the man of the house that was a pain and he's gone now. The woman was more than accommodating about splitting. But... Now that last weeks tornado removed the rest of my fence line, and a lot of my house, I guess we'll just get insurance to pay instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom