New Banks Feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son wants me to feed the soybean/corn mix, but my pockets aren’t that deep.
I got a trailer load of soybeans a couple years back for the feeders. I had zero success attracting deer. Ended up dumping the beans. I know they like the green plants, but the dried beans not so much for me.
Your results may differ.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a trailer load of soybeans a couple years back for the feeders. I had zero success attracting deer. Ended up dumping the beans. I know they like the green plants, but the dried beans not so much for me.
Your results may differ.
Good to know. My son probably saw someone feeding roasted soybeans and corn on a hunting show, so he thinks it’s the thing to do. :rolleyes2
I told him if he wanted to feed it he had to buy it, but he ended up filling the feeders with the $9/bag All Stock. He’s a lot tighter with his money than he is with mine.:rollingla

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. My son probably saw someone feeding roasted soybeans and corn on a hunting show, so he thinks it’s the thing to do. :rolleyes2
I told him if he wanted to feed it he had to buy it, but he ended up filling the feeders with the $9/bag All Stock. He’s a lot tighter with his money than he is with mine.:rollingla
The beans I got were not roasted. Farmers bins were full and he was going to dump them into a ditch. I don't know if roasted may make a difference?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The beans I got were not roasted. Farmers bins were full and he was going to dump them into a ditch. I don't know if roasted may make a difference?
They'll still eat harvested beans if there's nothing else around but they really like them when they're green in the pods.

@Bowhunter, get a pair of latex gloves and buy a big tube of grease for a grease gun and smear the whole thing on that pole. That's what I do on feeder legs and it stopped them. A dozen coon cuffs work also lol.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m definitely doing the coon cuffs after season. Should be fun! Hopefully I can find someone wanting the coons for their hides. I don’t even like caping big deer. But I could definitely get good amd quick at it with all the ones I got lol
Last year prices for coons were as low as ever. Most buyers would buy the whole carcass so they know its not damaged.

I don't expect the price to be much better this year, but you can quickly save several times the value of the coons in feed.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next up they will climb on their backs to get up there. Will cross that road when we get there. Hopefully the smell of grease doesn’t run the deer off completely .

Attachments

• BC1740A5-DD06-4E4C-94C5-7C853876D41E.jpeg
    BC1740A5-DD06-4E4C-94C5-7C853876D41E.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 71
  • D072AC93-EDA5-4134-8F5A-CD8862575925.jpeg
    D072AC93-EDA5-4134-8F5A-CD8862575925.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 60

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine originally started at 42" above the ground. Now after the dirt has been stomped and mud carried off, I bet they could be 44" high. Deer have no trouble feeding. I have 3" pvc over the leg. I have only had pics of 1 coon hanging from feeder spout. Pretty sure he was caught with his paw in the marshmallow jar, because we haven't had a picture of a coon on the feeder in a long time.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The saga will continue. I had a pic with 13 coons in it last year. I didn’t get a chance to trap them last year like I did the year before. Have you tried wrapping the base pole with the anti-critter strips. Academy sells them in a three pack. They are flexible strips of metal with very sharp spikes on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom